• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Strategies against south paws (MT)

Was wondering what things you guys do when fighting against a south paw fighter.

Specifically any good combos (full MT rules) to come down with a hard cut on the outside/front of their lead leg. My left kick is just as hard, if not harder than my right, so if I can work their front leg hard, I will.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm a southpaw and don't like fighting southpaws as much as righties because the fists are more in my face. Switch to southpaw to fight a southpaw.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

• 4 weeks later...

The basic rule is always circle to your left. This stops him from using his left straight punch and left kick.

It gets you away from his power and puts you at a good angle to use your right punches and kicks.

Left or right low kicks are good to his lead leg, which is an easy target.

Just remember hit and circle, circle and hit.

"Today is a good day to die"

Live each day as if it were your last

That's one reason my right jab is good. I get to use it a lot against righties circling away from my left. :D

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

Hi, Im a southy, and im looking for ways to help my defence. I know im suseptible to left hooks and straight rights from orthdox fighters. So Id say left hook right cross is a good combo!

• 1 month later...

I'm a southpaw that will fight in both stance sometimes, I really don't offer any advice but to just train more and get accustomed to even the most awkward of opponents. About the only advantage I noticed from early on was how easy it was for me to land inside thigh kicks with my left leg on a orthadox fighter.

Karate without bareknuckle kumite(kyokushin/knockdown rules)is dancing. Karate without kata isn't Karate.

BTW, I'm a horrible dancer.

• 4 weeks later...

1. circle away from his power hand, but that applies to ANY stance.

2. place your foot outside of his, which allows you to use your hook while disallowing his and ruins his angle for sidestepping

1. circle away from his power hand, but that applies to ANY stance.

2. place your foot outside of his, which allows you to use your hook while disallowing his and ruins his angle for sidestepping

This is very basic and won't work on an advanced opponent that offers more than just boxing as a weapon. This is boxing 101, keeping your lead on the outside. You have to watch out for the plok/push and the tok/moving, the dtae/roundhouse, kao/knee, etc. Along with the strategies that put it all together. If all you wory about is circling around and keeping your lead foot on the outside you will get pegged by someone that works combinations in Muay Thai.

It really comes down to what kind of oppnent you are facing. Are you facing a kicker, clincher, puncher, someone that works all 8 limbs of muay thai?

This is very basic and won't work on an advanced opponent that offers more than just boxing as a weapon. This is boxing 101, keeping your lead on the outside. You have to watch out for the plok/push and the tok/moving, the dtae/roundhouse, kao/knee, etc. Along with the strategies that put it all together. If all you wory about is circling around and keeping your lead foot on the outside you will get pegged by someone that works combinations in Muay Thai.

It really comes down to what kind of oppnent you are facing. Are you facing a kicker, clincher, puncher, someone that works all 8 limbs of muay thai?

that is exactly what it is. And if your footwork is good, it will work. if it didn't, it wouldn't still be taught and used. the thread isn't geared at any specific technique against a southpaw, so what I mentioned is valid.

that is exactly what it is. And if your footwork is good, it will work. if it didn't, it wouldn't still be taught and used. the thread isn't geared at any specific technique against a southpaw, so what I mentioned is v

alid.

It's only taught against a puncher, and it's very basic, it's taught to beginners, it's not taught to use against anybody that works combinations well. I wouldn't have taught it to any of my fighters, but I had my fighters fight in Muay Thai fights, go figure. Once again, it's a boxing tactic, remember that.