• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do you ever feel like *you* are *that* kind of student?

DisgruntledGirl

You know what I mean, the overly arguementative type for no good reason? (Btw I am 28 and "unofficially" a yellow belt, just waiting for the actual strip of material... so I really have zero right/knowledge to argue at this point :P )

Some instances of what I do:

Sensei had a lil situation of two people "sparring" one green belt one blue belt (in a very rehearsed way) with me and I was getting a lil mixed up after turning to face the other "opponent".

Sensei: Wrap up with your other arm...

Me: You sure???

Sensei: Yes! How do you do it in the Kata?

Me:

~next time trying the same move~

Sensei: You are wrapping up with the wrong arm!

Me: But... I didnt do it this way last time?? I didnt have a revearse punch to wrap up with???

Sensei: Yes you did.

Me: No I didnt! To which I then realised exactly what I was doing and how stupid it was and you could almost see the "oops" on my face.

Sensei: It doesnt matter what you did last time. DO IT...

Me: this time... right (with a bit of a grin on my face)

Next situation, rehearsed 3 point sparring session with another white belt:

Sensei: put your back foot out more at a 45 deg angle

Me: But, if I do that I'll miss his foot completely!

Sensei: DO IT!

Me: Right!! :D

What I think was actually happening with the last situation was the guy I was sparring with was kicking "wrong" in order to miss me... so I could never make contact with his leg with my block... later sensei did tell him to kick more to the front instead of to the side... if I woulda just let it all play out I wouldnta had to make myself look so stupid :P

In the end I dont think it ticks off the sensei too much, sometimes I think he may even get a slight kick out of it even if he does wish I'd just listen!!!... I can usually see a little grin behind his sterness when I do stuff like this and I always (eventually) recognise that I was in the wrong... though maybe senseis learn to just accept that there will be some "problem students" :dodgy: and just take it on the chin.

Are any of you like this? Though I understand some Senseis are way strict and would not tollerate such behavior (I think mine is quite strict/stern with the teenagers but with the older set (like me)... he lets us slide a bit more) I am trying to just accept things and ask questions later rather than at the moment of what I am confused about... because most of the time it either really didnt matter or will show it self to work itself out without me haveing to do anything anyway.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you know you're being argumentative, why do you continue? It's one thing to ask a question, that's only human. It's another to argue. If something conflicts with what you thought, just ask privately at the end of class. It's a little more respectful that way and you won't feel embarassed.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

If you know you're being argumentative, why do you continue? It's one thing to ask a question, that's only human. It's another to argue. If something conflicts with what you thought, just ask privately at the end of class. It's a little more respectful that way and you won't feel embarassed.

ummm (not to be argumentative :D but) thats pretty much what I said in my conclusion to my post wasnt it?

I dont think I'm one of those students, but we have a few in our school that just wont shut up and do as they are told. (usually when the female teacher is teaching and everyone else but Sensei). Questions are great, in fact we are encouraged to ask, but it is one thing to ask a question about something and another to question (doubt) a Sensei's teachings.

~Angry~

im the kind of instructor who HATES students telling me im wrong if i'm right. If they don't realise what they are doing wrong and need to be shown thats perfectly fine by me, but if they are doing it for the sake of being argumentitive, or they just don't have the common sense to think, "hey wait a second this guy/girl's been doing this for ages... of course he/she knows better than i do about whats going on" then i have very little patience for those people...

in short... your lucky you have such a patient instructor :D especially seeing as your an adult student. Kids can get away with more stuff usually that adults would find themselves learning hands on why they are wrong and the instructor is right.

Brown belt... win trophies... grade... lose trophies... so much fun

Asking questions is normal and expected. We don't really have lot of arguementative students. Asking for clarification is a good thing, and most instructors will appreciate it. However, arguing a point with an experineced instructor may not be advisable until you get some more experience under your belt.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha Yes!

I am totally that student. I've done judo for a couple of years and karate, and - mostly in BJJ- I'm like- no no no, that doesn't work- see, because- oh. wait. nevermind :)

Granted its a little different because my teachers are my fiance and one of my best guy friends who I used to live with, so theyjust think it's funny- no big :)

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

I dont think I'm one of those students, but we have a few in our school that just wont shut up and do as they are told.

I dont think I am quite *that* bad (I hope) I'm pretty silent durring the basics part and during kata... if I am given corrections on these I tend to nod in agreement and correct myself the next time.... but for some reason I get a little more audible durring the sparring.

I think its just a lot more for my brain to work through and also the fact that someone else is dependant on *you* doing it correctly for them as well as for yourself. While it may often come out as "questioning the sensei" that is never the actual intention of my questions (and I think he gets that)... its just things are going so quickly and the first thing that pops into my head will often be the thing that also pops out of my mouth without editing :D

Edited by DisgruntledGirl

in short... your lucky you have such a patient instructor :D

Agreed. :P He's a good guy.

especially seeing as your an adult student. Kids can get away with more stuff usually that adults would find themselves learning hands on why they are wrong and the instructor is right.

Ive arrived a little early to some classes where he were teaching the teenagers and for some reason he is quite opposite in his methods in that way. Teenagers he doesnt take *ANY* crap from... but adults for some reason he will often let slide a little bit more. I notice even in our class (age 16 or 17 and above) he will "demand" more repect from the older teens than he will from say a 45 year old man.

Edited by DisgruntledGirl

Hahahahahahahahahahaha Yes!

I am totally that student. I've done judo for a couple of years and karate, and - mostly in BJJ- I'm like- no no no, that doesn't work- see, because- oh. wait. nevermind :)

:D glad to know I am not alone. Though you are correct in that because of the personal relationship you have with your "instructors" it does indeed make the situations quite a bit different.