• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

need help with properly pivoting

turbo wrx

There are some movements that you won't want to pivot on the ball of your foot with in Heian Shodan.

I agree with the majority of what was posted already, but I actually disagree with this right here. All turns in the Pinan/Heian series can be performed on the balls of your feet.

Anytime you pivot you should always be pivoting on the balls of your feet. The human body is anatomicaly built to maintain balance better on the balls of your feet rather than your heels.

To simply show this just stand shoulder width apart. Once in position, raise your toes up off the ground and see how long you can keep from wobbling. After your done repeat but raise your heels off the ground so your weight is shifted towards the balls of your feet. Also try walking around on both your heels only and balls of your feet only and see which one is easier on your body.

I see where you're coming from. As an exercise physiologist, I have a strong to very strong understanding of biomechanics. However, we're talking about a quick pivot, not walking. Additionally, it's not at every point that a heel pivot is appropriate. For example, on the 270 degree turns, it wouldn't work out very well.

A heel pivot allows you to gain distance toward your opponent (the depth of which is equal to the length of your foot from the heel to the toes) and allows a longer follow through with your strike. It also drives your mass forward into the strike. When you pivot on the ball of your foot, you actually move backward (the depth of which is from your toes to your heels), away from the strike.

The next advantage is that once you've performed the pivot on the heel, you can continue forward onto the ball of the foot, giving you even more forward movement where necessary. It's important to note that only the rear foot is pivoting on the heel, not both feet simultaneously.

Maybe I'll make a you tube video to better illustrate. This concept has been taught to me in 4 different systems though. All of my instructors were different and from different schools also. I only say that to point out it's not isolated to one school of thought.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I see where you're coming from. As an exercise physiologist, I have a strong to very strong understanding of biomechanics. However, we're talking about a quick pivot, not walking. Additionally, it's not at every point that a heel pivot is appropriate. For example, on the 270 degree turns, it wouldn't work out very well.

A heel pivot allows you to gain distance toward your opponent (the depth of which is equal to the length of your foot from the heel to the toes) and allows a longer follow through with your strike. It also drives your mass forward into the strike. When you pivot on the ball of your foot, you actually move backward (the depth of which is from your toes to your heels), away from the strike.

The next advantage is that once you've performed the pivot on the heel, you can continue forward onto the ball of the foot, giving you even more forward movement where necessary. It's important to note that only the rear foot is pivoting on the heel, not both feet simultaneously.

Maybe I'll make a you tube video to better illustrate. This concept has been taught to me in 4 different systems though. All of my instructors were different and from different schools also. I only say that to point out it's not isolated to one school of thought.

Perhaps it seems like there is some initial miscommunication between us. I am reading the initial post as pivoting in starting the initial turn, while it appears from the post above you are speak of after is how the foot moves after it's planted. If that is correct then I am agreement. But like I said, I took the inital post as in having trouble balance due to starting the turn by pivoting wrong.

Perhaps it seems like there is some initial miscommunication between us. I am reading the initial post as pivoting in starting the initial turn, while it appears from the post above you are speak of after is how the foot moves after it's planted. If that is correct then I am agreement. But like I said, I took the inital post as in having trouble balance due to starting the turn by pivoting wrong.

I think you're probably right. Like I said, it's been a common theme in nearly every art I've studied. I may have just complicated the explination a little. Or...under explained initially. What ever the case, I think we're on the same page :) Thanks bearich!

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I think you're probably right. Like I said, it's been a common theme in nearly every art I've studied. I may have just complicated the explination a little. Or...under explained initially. What ever the case, I think we're on the same page :) Thanks bearich!

Yeah, it appears we are on the same page. I too pivot on my heel after my foot has been planted. Like I said, I took the original poster as saying they were having issues in the beginning of the turn, which is why I had an objection to your original comment on pivoting on the heels.