• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

need help with properly pivoting

turbo wrx

Hello,

I'm new to karate. I'm having some trouble with pivoting/turning during kata (for example, when we have to turn 90 degrees or 270 degrees). I kind of stumble and almost lose my balance. Basically I feel clumsy.

Can someone point me to some video or diagram that will help me learn how to properly move my legs/feet in order to pivot?

Thx for any tips.

"First you must know yourself. Then you can know others."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Don't feel bad or anything man, it happens to most people when starting out. The problem is that your body isn't use to it yet.

Without knowing which Kata you are working on I can't be to specific in how to help you or point you in the right direction, however we have a step system to help students get it easier.

EXAMPLE: Taikyoku Shodan. (Move one)

Start in ready position.

Step back and out with the left leg.

Turn to your left into a worrior stance.

Block with your left arm.

Raise your left arm.

Step forward with your back leg into another worrior stance.

Then punch with you right hand.

Basically breakdown each movement into parts and that helps you focus even more on each move which should help you improve.

Good luck and I hope I make sense for you lol.

~Angry~

I don't whether this'll apply to your katas, but whenever I try to pivot I make sure that my weight is in the ball of my foot. That way the whole foot doesn't grip the floor when you try to turn and the ball acts just like any other pivot in life.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

In addition to the comments above, remember to bend your knees. I often see students attempting their power circles (turns) with their knees locked. This will cause you to not be able to step out as far and your legs will feel "tangled." Keep you knees bent and you'll be ok.

Edit: I want to note that I'm not saying to change your level (bounce) at all.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I agree with keeping on the balls of your feet and your knees bent. Before I teach my students kata, I teach them the proper pivots and they must practice and get them correctly. You may want to practice just pivoting alone, with no arm movements. Then when you get that down well, practice doing the entire kata with only footwork. After that add the arms back in and you should see much improvement.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

Hey, thanks for all the advice. :) I'll try to remember about bending my knees and pivoting on the ball of my foot. Working on pivoting alone is also a good idea.

By the way, we're currently learning Heian Shodan.

"First you must know yourself. Then you can know others."

There are some movements that you won't want to pivot on the ball of your foot with in Heian Shodan. That is, sometimes you should pivot on your heel. Your sensei should tell you which is the appropriate time for each. If you're just starting to learn the pattern, it probably won't be a huge point of focus right now anyway.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

There are some movements that you won't want to pivot on the ball of your foot with in Heian Shodan.

I agree with the majority of what was posted already, but I actually disagree with this right here. All turns in the Pinan/Heian series can be performed on the balls of your feet.

Anytime you pivot you should always be pivoting on the balls of your feet. The human body is anatomicaly built to maintain balance better on the balls of your feet rather than your heels.

To simply show this just stand shoulder width apart. Once in position, raise your toes up off the ground and see how long you can keep from wobbling. After your done repeat but raise your heels off the ground so your weight is shifted towards the balls of your feet. Also try walking around on both your heels only and balls of your feet only and see which one is easier on your body.

In addition to the comments above, remember to bend your knees. I often see students attempting their power circles (turns) with their knees locked. This will cause you to not be able to step out as far and your legs will feel "tangled." Keep you knees bent and you'll be ok.

Edit: I want to note that I'm not saying to change your level (bounce) at all.

This is good advise. I would add that when you turn, bring the leg that is stepping close to the base leg that is pivoting; avoid swinging it out, as this would cause you to lose your balance, and is inefficient movement. Think of it as you would if you were just walking, and try to keep it simple.

Welcome to the Forums! :karate: