• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

(shotokan)Doubts

lufbrajames

I think it's fine to be a "jack of all trades" as long as you are putting enough into each trade and you are getting enough out of each. :)

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well now you are getting into the defn's and quilifications of "jack of a trade" and "know". ;)

I think we have a good 10 or 12 threads somewhere around here about "can you be a 'master'?" or "should we call you professor" and all of that label-ness :)

What I mean is that you can practice a variety of styles and spar, do forms, do techniques, etc well. I think that going out and picking fights with different types of people hoping to use each of my karate, kajukenbo, judo and bjj on some poor guy just looking for a bar fight would not be prudent at this juncture :) hehehe

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

No, you are right; picking fights isn't the best of ideas. However, I would rather have some grappling knowledge to go with my striking knowledge. A little bit can go a long ways.

Hi all :)

I was wondering why in the Shotokan syllabus (i have several books and have searched on the internet or the syllabus information)some grades you don't have to learn any more techniques, and for 2nd kyu 1st kyu and 1st dan there is no difference??? seems very strange why have the grades if you don't have to do anything for them, are they simply to increase the time before black??

Thanks

I would find it very odd if there was absolutely no change between those grades, but to be honest, even if there is no technical change then there should be a change within the practioner themselves in the way they perform it and the knowledge they have about it. Sometimes we will drill our black belts in white belt basics... not because we think they don't know it, but because we are checking how much more advanced than the white belts they are (or should be). It's easier to hide mistakes in advanced techniques and combinations, it is a lot harder to do the same in the most basic moves.

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

It's easier to hide mistakes in advanced techniques and combinations, it is a lot harder to do the same in the most basic moves.

This is a very good approach to take; I like it a lot. That is something our instructor gets to view in nearly every class, as the black belts line up in front for basics, with the lower ranks falling in behind. The low ranks always have a good example in front of them.