uke6nq

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Generally, I do a yoko tsuki when stepping toward the opponent into a cover stance (a sideways horse stance). It's most beneficial when there is some distance between you and him and you want to maintain that. Also, if you are fighting two opponents, this strike/stance allows you to attack one while retaining vision and access to a second if he moves in.

Anyway, steps from a natural, forward facing stance with arms hanging naturally:

1. Chamber striking fist at same side hip

2. Slide same side foot forward to opposite side cover stance (leg on side of striking arm is closesest to opponent)

At the same time, be extending striking arm either

a) vertically the entire time

b) beginning vertically, and rotating to a horizontal position upon inpact

3. As leading foot reaches position, hips rotate to face sideways and fist impacts target.

Non-blocking arm is in a defensive position accross the body, ready to defend an attack from the opponent

I may be forgetting something, but I think thats it- comments anyone?

Oh, and by the way, I think that this is a great idea and we should have more threads like this, just discussing the execution of a particular move- kudos.

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

Ok, for kids:

1. Hold your right fist by your right hip

2. Step forward with your right foot, and turn your body to your left so that the other guy is beside your right side

3. When you are stepping punch strait toward the other guy

4. When your foot lands from that step, make sure that it's at the same time as your body turns and your fist hits the other guy

sorry if its not great- I haven't taught kids in a few years

-Lao Tzu

If we do this side punch (we don't very often), I would do it from a sitting stance (horse stance), pulling the arm back to the ribs, and loading up the technique by lifting the foot of the side I am punching with slightly off the floor. Then, uncork the body like a slinky and step your body weight down, into the punch. The punch should land as the foot hits the floor.

I hope that isn't too confusing. Marie curie had a good explanation. Remember that when working with the kids, being able to demonstrate the action as you talk will help them to relate to it better. They will try to copy you, but kids only do typically about half the effort. So, you must make everything bigger and more exaggerated when you demonstrate.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a "side punch." Does anyone have a picture? It sounds like you start like a lunge punch but turn all the way into a horse stance and punch sideways? What's its purpose?

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

That's exactly what it is. You get more extension and a little more force than a thrust punch. Also, you end up facing a different direction, which, situationally, can sometimes be advantageous.

-Lao Tzu

Is it demonstrated in any kata? It just doesn't seem to make sense the way I'm picturing it.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."