• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tae Kyon's kicking influence

Unfortunately, as time goes on, we lose many techniques as people forget them or neglect to teach them. I have used and taught several of the techniques from Tae Kyon, most noticably the circular and jumping kicks, that students thought were just the greatest things. However, I tell them I didn't make these up they just aren't being taught the way they are suppose to. And I fear for their future as more people mistake tournament technique as actual Tae Kwon Do.

There is no martial arts without philosophy.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, as time goes on, we lose many techniques as people forget them or neglect to teach them. I have used and taught several of the techniques from Tae Kyon, most noticably the circular and jumping kicks, that students thought were just the greatest things. However, I tell them I didn't make these up they just aren't being taught the way they are suppose to. And I fear for their future as more people mistake tournament technique as actual Tae Kwon Do.

Man, that is sooo freaking true...people have always wondered where i get certain kicks and i tell them, dude they are Traditional Tae Kwon Do techniques and I think only like second degrees and above have been like, oh yea, i've heard of that. It kinda hurts me on the inside since I love Tae Kwon Do so much.

"If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting, but if I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying."

- Bruce Lee

I think it is our free fighting/demo team that has incorporated Tae Kyon techniques into their routine, notably the jumping spin, circular, and leg sweeps. Ironically, people watch these and figure they must have just created them for the demos. I watch them and realize they are incorporating Tae Kyon, because they are similar to the Tae Kyon techniques I have seen. They are either watching Tae Kyon videos, or working out with people who know it on one of their trips to Korea.

I am soooo planning a trip to Korea hopefully some time next year, and I want to be able to show up in Seoul and practice some Taekkyun with Do, Ki Hyun.

"If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting, but if I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying."

- Bruce Lee

• 3 months later...

I've had the opportunity to watch taekkyun practitioners on YouTube, which really gives you a better perspective. All I can say is, the kicks used in taekkyun look almost identical to many of the kicks we do (our organization), the free fighting is similar, the stepping is similar. We don't do the sweeps, takedowns, grabs, or throws (not in sparring anyway), but everything else-high kicks, jumping kicks, jump spinning, circular kicks-are very similar to the way we execute technique.

I saw jumping back side kicks, jumping back roundhouse kicks, crescent kicks, and jumping front kicks that looked identical to our Tae Kwon Do kicks. From what I saw, TKD the way our organization does it is definitely taekkyun influenced.

From what I saw, TKD the way our organization does it is definitely taekkyun influenced.

Or modern Tae Kyon is influenced by popular TKD?

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

From what I saw, TKD the way our organization does it is definitely taekkyun influenced.

umm...no....TKD roots come from Taekkyun...

- Bruce Lee

Yes but under the Japanese occupation Tae Kyon nearly died out. It was never a systemised martial art to start with anyway and it is almost certain that it was never recorded down because it was considered a game that the lower classes played. As part of an effort to revive the art it is possible that some more modern techniques received influence from TKD as people tried to make Tae Kyon more like Tae Kyon (if that makes sense).

And TKD roots aren't exclusively from Tae Kyon, during the Japanese occupation many Koreans learnt styles of karate or Chinese systems (when exiled). The amalgamation that became TKD has more roots in Japanese or Chinese arts than it does in Tae Kyon. This is particularly evident in the way most of the forms are performed and the fact that some schools actually use Karate forms.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Yes but under the Japanese occupation Tae Kyon nearly died out. It was never a systemised martial art to start with anyway and it is almost certain that it was never recorded down because it was considered a game that the lower classes played. As part of an effort to revive the art it is possible that some more modern techniques received influence from TKD as people tried to make Tae Kyon more like Tae Kyon (if that makes sense).

And TKD roots aren't exclusively from Tae Kyon, during the Japanese occupation many Koreans learnt styles of karate or Chinese systems (when exiled). The amalgamation that became TKD has more roots in Japanese or Chinese arts than it does in Tae Kyon. This is particularly evident in the way most of the forms are performed and the fact that some schools actually use Karate forms.

I am in accord with DWx here. I can remember reading some articles in Dragon Times that was an historic appraisal of TKD, and much was discussed in the way it came from Karate-trained backgrounds, and is not actually a thousands years old system. This is the same issue I have with the claims of Tae Kyon. When Korea finally escaped the occupation of Japan, they were so willing to have something their own, that they would propogate a style as being a thousands years tradition, when in fact, it was not. General Choi even mentions something to this effect in his TKD Encyclopedia. The only weaponless combat method mentioned in the Muye Dobo Tongji is Kwon Bup.

Given the small size of Korea and the fact that various styles coexist in this limited area, it would not be surprising that Tae Kyon and Tae Kwon Do have synergized off each other and traded techniques.

Some of the techniques I saw Tae Kyon students doing in YouTube videos looked suspiciously like TKD (tornado kicks, jumping back sidekicks). It is entirely possible that TKD and TK have traded off each other, possibly in an effort to understand each other. End result being they are much more similar now than in the past.

I suspect that Tae Kyon students, observing TKD's popularity in Korea and abroad, felt allowing it to absord techniques considered more Tae Kyon would bring TKD more in line with Korean history and allow TK techniques to survive and reach a broader audience. Let's face it: TKD is much bigger than Tae Kyon.