• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tae Kyon's kicking influence

How do you make your art look harmless? You play it off as a kid's game.

This would make is somewhat of a kindred spirit to the art of Caporiea, don't you think?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also think that most of the original kwans, being basically Japanese karate, would have had no Tae Kyon influence. But some of the Kwans did, I think, incorporate indigenous Korean technique. Certainly some of the techniques I've seen my GM practice look very Tae Kyon-influenced.

Karate is definately the underlying sort of style of the Kwans, however, I think that TaeKyon or even some Chinese Wushu type movement was incorporated. After the World War II, and after Korea's independance, Korea wanted to distinguish herself away from the Japanese and I suppose many of the Kwan founders did not like the idea of being "Karate copycats". Also, I actually think there may be some sort of Kung Fu element as links between Korea and China stem way back... In the 7th century the Silla Dynasty was allied to the Tang Dynasty so its likely that cultural influences were passed across... Again as a result of the war and Japanese occupation, some Koreans were either exiled or emmigrated across to China and no doubt they were exposed to the Chinese way of fighting.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Not surprisingly, given Korea's close proximity to China, and the fact that what was considered Korea centuries ago may well be Chinese territory now.

Modern Tae Kwon Do, especially WTF Tae Kwon Do, is much more willing to admit the Chinese influence than the Japanese influence. Several of the WTF forms are Chinese characters. But would you be willing to acknowlege the influence of the culture that occupied your nation for 35 years and tried to exterminate its indigenous culture? Me neither.

Not only that, but it is also not surprising that the kwans that acknowleged their Japanese backgrounds and tried to retain their Japanese character were given lesser roles in Korean Tae Kwon Do development.

There is no martial arts without philosophy.

Taekkyon was developed during the time period called The Three Kingdoms. They were three kingdoms that sprung up, and since two of them were usually fighting the skills to fight were developed. The actual students usually chosen to do Taekkyon were kids who excelled in the arts, rithmetic, and other subjects because it was thought that if they were that bright there then they would carry over their dedication and intelligence to the martial arts. Eventually one of the Kingdoms sided with China, only to be betrayed in the end by China too. So basically Taekkyon did start as an actual combat for war even though it was taken later into sport and celebrations. Sorry for so much writing, I did my final presentation report for my Senior Level class of Geopolitical History in college. :P

"If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting, but if I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying."

- Bruce Lee

Hwarang Do was one of the fighting techniques developed at the time. There were two main ones, and actually they called the military group or watever, Hwarang. But yea, there was more than one umm..i'll try and find my notes tomorrow, i'm not remembering most of the stuff though lol.

"If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting, but if I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying."

- Bruce Lee

I recall the arts of Su-bak, and Kwon-bup. I think Tae Kyon came along later, and was never really considered a fighting art, but more the game that has been stated.

Hmm..i'm starting to think that Taekyon was a mixture of the previous arts of war, but i'll look it up again in my thesis if i ever have time :(...ughh..i only get to practice now about three times a week cuz of work instead of six times a week..*sorry off topic for a sec*.

- Bruce Lee

Hwa Rang Do did not exist as a martial art until the mid-latter 20th Century. The Hwa Rang did exist, but they studied several different arts-archery, horseback riding, weapons, Tae Kyon. There was never an art called Hwa Rang Do until Lee, a Hapkido student, called his that.

All of the Korean styles have incorporated various degrees of Korean kicking. So the Tae Kyon influence applies not just to Tae Kwon Do.

There is no martial arts without philosophy.

Hwa Rang Do did not exist as a martial art until the mid-latter 20th Century. The Hwa Rang did exist, but they studied several different arts-archery, horseback riding, weapons, Tae Kyon. There was never an art called Hwa Rang Do until Lee, a Hapkido student, called his that.

Yes, in fact, I thought that they may have used the art of Kwon Bup as their empty hand style, but I don't remember for sure. They really were trained as all-around warriors/scholars.