• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Question about Mas Oyama

DaChroniclez

I have a question to ask about Mas Oyama, I am not trying to offend anyone or doubt his skill, because I have always felt him to be one of the greatest. But after watching some clips of him I am curious about his technique because, to be honest, it didn't always look very good. Most times it looked quite sloppy, and his flexibility seemed to be terrible as well. Is there some reasoning behind this? Or is it that he's so advanced he begins to stop focusing on the perfection of every technique. I'm not really sure but maybe someone more advanced or with more knowledge, could explain this to me.

The fact of the matter is that to me, it is much more impressive to see someone with flawless technique (ie. Kancho Matsui) than someone with flawled technique but remarkable conditioning and strength, and i just really hope that this is not what Mas Oyama was.

the following video is one that made me feel this way:

-go to youtube and search "Mas Oyama kicking at Honbu Dojo"

(and i wouldnt blame this on age because Matsui isn't exactly a kid now and he still has the same skill he did 20 years ago, same goes for most other masters)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I wish I could tell you that age doesn't matter. But it does. It's a rare person that is able to keep that great technique late into life. It should always be the goal of course, but it's not possible for everyone. Think of all the great martial artists this happens to. I can think of 50 or 60 great older martial artists. But, unfortunately, I can think fifty times that amount who aren't able to perform the same as when they were in their twenties, thirties and fourties.

It looks to be a relatively recent video. Since he died in 94, it's not a stretch to think he may not have been in the best health at the time also.

Also, although they are great kickers, I don't think kicking was Oyama's mainstay. He was a puncher wasn't he?

In the end, does it really matter? His great contribution was the contribution he made to the martial arts. His technique, good bad or indifferent, is forever committed back to the earth. But his influence will last far beyond most of us. That's what really matters.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I think that ps1 has hit the nail on the head. Oyama's influence on the Martial Arts can still be seen today.

There are many aspects to the Martial Arts. Technique is one of them. There are many others, depending on your viewpoints.

I know how bad my knees feel now, with only 14 years of experience in. I can only imagine how some of the older masters feel every day.

yea, i can see your point of view, i guess age does play a large part, maybe if we saw him much younger it would have been different.

btw, Elky are you French by any chance?

Non, mon ami, j'habite en Angleterre.

Osu!

I as well also wondered that as well...alot of those clips were showin later in his life. There is a clip on youtube with Sosai and Bruce lee tribute and it shows him and how light he was on his feet!

he musta been late 30's early 40's at the time im guessin....age does play a factor but i am still in my 20's and know F-all but ya check out that vid its very few seconds but wow!