• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do you think that the tenents of budo, like integrity, respect, and sportsmanship are beginning to disappear from the MMA competitions that we see? Do you think that they are beginning to look more and more like WWE events, with trash-talking and all that goes with it?

There is no doubt that the fights are entertaining, but does it come to a point where we can do with the just the fighting, and not the hyping? What does everyone think?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe people practice martial arts for various different reasons. Some practice to become more healthy, some practice for fun, but others train to become the strongest fighter in the world. But I think budo in this day and age isn't that alive.

"Kyokugen ougi!"

Like chivalry its dead. To be completely honest I saw the reality TV show Ulitimate Fighter for the first time a few days ago and I was really dissapointed. These guys are supposed to be strongest guys in the world and they act like a bunch of teenagers. This girls horse fell over and they all stood there and stared at it cause "Whaahh!! Im the strongest fighter in the world; but I don't wanna get hurt by the horse." I think the ancient masters probably turned over in there graves when they saw these, "world champions".

Back to the question at hand, I think people wanna package it and sell it as a commodity like everything else and they don't particularly care if its right or not as long as people buy it.

Hope this helps.

Do you think that the tenents of budo, like integrity, respect, and sportsmanship are beginning to disappear from the MMA competitions that we see? Do you think that they are beginning to look more and more like WWE events, with trash-talking and all that goes with it?

There is no doubt that the fights are entertaining, but does it come to a point where we can do with the just the fighting, and not the hyping? What does everyone think?

No, I don't think so. There are trash talkers, sure, but there's plenty of the qualities you mention. See GSP, Royce, Randy, Anderson Silva, etc.

Battling biomechanical dyslexia since 2007

No, I don't think so. There are trash talkers, sure, but there's plenty of the qualities you mention. See GSP, Royce, Randy, Anderson Silva, etc.

These that you mention do come to mind. I have always liked Courture, and I always felt that he was a stand-up guy. The others, as well. But, do you think that some of today's upcoming fighters are beginning to go the route of the WWE type of show? I really hope not. I think that if UFC and Pride can continue to put out quality fighters, then they can avoid going the route of all the pomp.

Perhaps MMA is a little more bujutsu and a little less budo?

I guess it could be. However, it is still a sport, and some form of sportsmanship should follow, one would think.

I am not arguing for or against the fact. The reason that I ask is because I read an article in which the author felt that it was starting to fall that way. I just wanted to see what others felt about the situation as well.

I can see it going that route, but at the same time, there are those that still show respect, etc.

Perhaps MMA is a little more bujutsu and a little less budo?

Ding ding ding!!!! I think you got it right. MMA is just about fighting to win. There are alot of those guys who do it for the money and don't care about anything else. So yes! Budo/chivalry is missing in MMA as a whole. There are some good guys who add it in, but it's not a requirement of the sport.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I hesitate to make a blanket statement like that, although it does seem to be less prevalent in some MMA circles, but that's the way it is in a lot of different sports venues though any more.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

All the trash talk is annoying and I think it is an attempt (at least within the UFC) to mimic "wrasslin.'" I noticed this over the weekend while watching UFC 70.

However, the fighters usually act professional once in the ring.

Ed

Ed