• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Anyway I can use my martial art skills to make a living?

I was just wondering if is there any way for me to use my martial art skills to make money besides teaching? I was thinking of fighting in tournaments for money but I think it's a bad idea if I want to do that to support myself. I'm 18 and I really want to consider a carreer involving martial arts.

"Kyokugen ougi!"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most nightclub bouncers have studied some form of fighting, I don't know if that would be a long-term career path though.

If you wanted to persue the stunt/film career you'll need at least some basic acting skill and your MA skill would probably have to cover quite a broad range. I suppose parkour or acrobatic training would come in useful too...

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

-Hello, Body guards, Sercuity officers, POLICE officers, Hotel Securitys,

Bank and Jewel stores.

Customs, governmental agencys for sercurity jobs, military MP'S, Campus Sercuity.

Even health and weigh gyms.

So many things! ........Aloha

PS: Learn JUDO too....this is the best for non-violent ways to handle many or all situtions!

First of all, you have to analyze a few things about your martial arts training. If you do a lot of tournament fighting, then that could be a route for you to go.

If you are looking into being a bouncer/security type of person, then you will want to make sure you have a background in restraint/control tactics of opponents. Your first option in this line of work won't be to hall off and deck someone. You will also find out really quick how much sparring in class is different than these situations.

It will depend on your goals and your training as to what you want to do. In the LEO and security jobs, your martial arts will be a supplement to your job, along with other aspects as well.

So I really enjoy tournament fighting I should be a tournament fighter to make a living? Hmm..fighting for a living would seem like a bad choice though...

Not necessarily. You just have to make sure you can devote the training time to be serious about it. If you can't win, then you won't be employed for very long. The best money you will make will be in hard contact events, like organized kickboxing, Thai boxing, MMA, San Shou, etc.