Knife and Gun Defence

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did in TSD. I was learning it at blue belt (5th gup/kyu). It was mainly learning how to "avoid" the knife at first. Then we got into disarming then locks (arm locks). Then we put them together. I moved shortly after that, so I didn't learn anymore than that.

Laurie F

I learned them when I was about 4 or 5, I cant really remember. My mom (Trooper and former member of the Police Department. Also a current member of the riot squad. She was asked to be on a SWAT team, but turned it down.) taught me all of that. They were disarming techniques and how to defend against them in a fight.

i'm in tae kwon do.I learned knife attacks right before black belt. I haven't learned gun attacks..I have a question for you, iron arahat..Do you really feel comfortable defending yourself against a gun? Is it actually possible????

Kinesiologist/Trainer

Black-Belt

That stuff is usually taught around the black belt level in KSW. I think some instructors hold self-defense style classes where they teach this earlier, though.

There have been a number of articles in Black Belt about defenses against a gun attack. If they're close and you're fast, it seems like it could work. If they're six feet away from you, you're in trouble.

Chris Tessone

White Belt, Kuk Sool Won

[ This Message was edited by: tessone on 2002-05-23 22:21 ]

Chris Tessone

Brown Belt, Kuk Sool Won

Our teacher told us that against a weapon, it doesn't matter too much the techniques, its all about Attitude.. You can have 100+ techinques against weapons, but if you aren't sure or you are affraid to use it, none is going to work and you'd get kill.

The Best Technique against a weapon is avoid the confrontation.

:smile:

Common.. can a gun defence actually work? If someone sticks a gun in your head you're gonna be scared and freaking out, will you really have the time to think of what to do? I guess no one will ever know though, unless they've been through the actual situation.

It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, for the most essential things are invisible to the eye.

Gun defenses are really only designed to be used when you know you're gonna die if you don't get the gun off them, otherwise there's just too much risk.

Knife defenses are much more effective, so long as you're prepared to get cut.

---------

Pil Sung

Jimmy B

Gun and Knife defense isn't taught until 3rd and 4th kyu in our system. My feeling about weapons defense/disarms/take-aways is that it needs to be practiced constantly, more so than unarmed defense.

I've even taken a gun defense course put on by Krav Maga. That was a pretty intense course and for the most part I've found it to be simple and direct.

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia