• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hi everyone! This is my first post on this great forum of yours.

I am actually into table tennis and I have been thinking of taking up a martial arts style on the side to supplement my table tennis. Basically, I am looking for a particular style that involves getting from point A to point B whilst in a crouching position. Anyone have any good ideas? The martial arts that are available for me are karate, Hapkido, Judo, Boxing and Taekwondo.

P.S. Body type? Short and slightly chubby, like George Constanza from Seinfeld.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Personally, what I would do is go around to each of the dojos and watch a class. Watch how the instructor conducts the class. Observe his teaching style as well. Then, after each of the classes, see if you can schedule a time to sit down with each of the instructors to ask questions.

When you mention getting from point A to point B quickly, it makes think linear, which also makes me think Taekwondo and Karate. However, in table tennis, you will use some circular motions, so that makes me think more of circular styles, which may be like Hapkido.

However, go watch each. You may end up liking one more than all of the others, and it may not have what you think you may be looking for.

Best of luck to you, and welcome to KarateForums! :karate: Let us know what you decide to take.

Watch how the instructor conducts the class. Observe his teaching style as well. Then, after each of the classes, see if you can schedule a time to sit down with each of the instructors to ask questions.

I'm not too sure what to ask. My main motives for taking up martial arts are:

- for the exercise

- and to release anger and aggression in a controlled and acceptable manner.

A friend once recommended Kyokushin, though I haven't thought about it for a while.

My main concerns are:

- time and money is scarce because I am a uni student

- I have to get myself contacts

I would like to commit to martial arts but I have to deal with these two issues first.

HumbleHero wrote:

My main concerns are:

I would like to commit to martial arts but I have to deal with these two issues first.

There WILL always be issues to deal with. It's not my intention to downplay your concerns. I suspect that if you just make the commitment, you will not regret it. Of course you need to stay within your means. Be sure you can afford the school you choose. I guess I'm saying that this is something that could potentially benifit you for the rest of your life. It should be taken every bit as seriously as the contacts you need. IMO!

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

HumbleHero wrote:

My main concerns are:

There WILL always be issues to deal with. It's not my intention to downplay your concerns. I suspect that if you just make the commitment, you will not regret it. Of course you need to stay within your means. Be sure you can afford the school you choose. I guess I'm saying that this is something that could potentially benifit you for the rest of your life. It should be taken every bit as seriously as the contacts you need. IMO!

What I mean be contacts are eye contacts, not contacts as in connections. Just in case there is some confusion.

What I mean be contacts are eye contacts, not contacts as in connections. Just in case there is some confusion.

You don't need contacts specifically when you start out. You probably wont do much heavy fighting at first anyway as you are just learning the techniques. Some people choose to just stick to glasses.

If you're a uni student, does your uni offer an MA? Clubs run specifically for students will take into consideration money and time constraints.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Watch how the instructor conducts the class. Observe his teaching style as well. Then, after each of the classes, see if you can schedule a time to sit down with each of the instructors to ask questions.

I'm not too sure what to ask. My main motives for taking up martial arts are:

- for the exercise

- and to release anger and aggression in a controlled and acceptable manner.

A friend once recommended Kyokushin, though I haven't thought about it for a while.

My main concerns are:

These are excellent questions to ask. Why? Because they are relevant to you, and the instructor will want to help you out in any way that he can (if he is a good one). Other questions that you could ask include:

What is your teaching philosophy?

Do you require tournament competition?

Do you teach self-defense, or sport?

Anything like this, that may be relevant to what your wants/needs are, will be good questions to ask. :)

If you're a uni student, does your uni offer an MA? Clubs run specifically for students will take into consideration money and time constraints.

I've always had luck through university classes as well. Not only are they usually cheaper, you can use them for credits and can use your financial aid to pay for them.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

I've always had luck through university classes as well. Not only are they usually cheaper, you can use them for credits and can use your financial aid to pay for them.

I agree! In my time at college, I have had 6 semesters of Martial Arts classes! :lol: