• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

SHORIN RYU SHORINKAN YAKOSOKU KUMITE

JimmyNewton

Hi P.A.L,

Thanks, that was really interesting to watch. I am a Wado person and a lot of our Karate is descended from Shorin-Ryu.

I think you can see the similarities, certainly with the more upright stances and fluidity of movement.

It’s a bit of a shame the camera lens seemed to fog over towards the end of the Kata. Or was that just my eyesight :)

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Those are very interesting to watch. They are extremely different than what I'm used to. Most of our "set" kumite techniques are only one, two, or three steps long. Very cool.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• 4 weeks later...

my style of karate is Shorin-Ryu

japanese

i was in the young dragons my sensi was

mark colgon

but there is manys styles of it

i was wondering if someone could list all the styles of Shorin-Ryu ?

Although not your typical "well rehearsed" demonstration video...if you know what you're looking at anyway, that video shows some very fine basic blocking technique (note a couple of good examples of body shifting) of Okinawan karate!

Got any more links like that?

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

Although not your typical "well rehearsed" demonstration video...if you know what you're looking at anyway, that video shows some very fine basic blocking technique (note a couple of good examples of body shifting) of Okinawan karate!

Got any more links like that?

well you are right, these clips of #1,#2 and #3 shows the general structure of shorinkan yakusokus, but this is not the way the Okinawan kyushis want you to perform it, they like to see some standard block/punch karate, i posted this for some friends who know the form but may be a little bit rusty remembering it. we put our white crane techniques into it, so you could see the back hand block first some times or hands are open, you also may notice there were lots of distraction involve using finger poking,pinching ,pulling and grabing the gi, which is a NO NO in shorinkan. we stoped taping after two runs since after that the whole thing gets ugly ,we just throw the punches in the context of each yakusoku and it ends up to a ground fighting some times, my sensei found this more usefull for street applications.