• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Which weapon to choose

I like the staff, I train myself in it alot...but there's a reason why i like it XD a staff can be found in alot of places..brooms,rakes,shovels, sticks(branches) fallen off of trees, bats,hockey sticks,golf clubs...et cetera (ect)

you just have to learn to to adjust quickly to different weight balances.

also knives and short swords (I actually carved a wooden sword abot the size of a *estimates* wakizashi?) are quite usefull *nods*

this one time there was a tree branch about as high as my shoulder that was fresh fallen (i mean the leaves were still green and not wilted ^.^) and I swung that around until all the leaves fell off XD it helped me alot i think. yes i know..i have weird ways of training myself -_-

Strike first. 'Til then i will not fight you.

Everytime someone calls JKD a style, Bruce turns over.

Why do I love Bruce Lee? Not because he was an awesome martial artist- but because his train of thought overlapped with mine even before I knew about him.

Thank you karate forums, for introducing me to Bruce Lee

• 2 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
i agree staffs are the best for starting. Sias are also good for starting. thats what i started with

I don't know.....I've hit myself a few times with sais...and gotten cut by them...I wouldn't recommend them for a starting weapon.

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky

For a beginner, I would strongly recommend the staff. It's a good prerequisite for lots of other weapons.

I agree. You can apply it to short staff, rope staff, spear, even sword.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

I don't know.....I've hit myself a few times with sais...and gotten cut by them...I wouldn't recommend them for a starting weapon.

:-? Um...how do you cut yourself with a sai? They don't have a "blade".

I've dropped the point of a sai on my foot before (sooooo embarassing!) and sliced the bottom of my foot really badly with a kama blade (don't ask.... :roll: ) and whacked various parts of my anatomy with nunchauku and even bruised a rib once with a bo.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

:-? Um...how do you cut yourself with a sai? They don't have a "blade".

I've dropped the point of a sai on my foot before (sooooo embarassing!) and sliced the bottom of my foot really badly with a kama blade (don't ask.... :roll: ) and whacked various parts of my anatomy with nunchauku and even bruised a rib once with a bo.

Pulling the sai back into the chambered position incorrectly....took the prong into my ribs...nasty metal scratches bleed...

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky

Ah...OK...a scratch. Yeah, I've done that before also.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

• 1 month later...

the ones that are popular with self-training seems to be

Nunchaku & Butterfly knives.

next is I think something like throwing knives & escrima sticks.

add a bo/jo in there too :)

for me the nunchaku is easier to learn than the butterfly knife, but

once I got the hang of the butterfly knife... I'm all about it now,

since you can do many of the nunchaku movements for the

butterfly knife anyway!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not too good at nunchaku XD I am a total beginner and still have to get the movements down pact. >.>;; I've tried a homemade ropedart..was fun for a while..then I hit myself and now i have a small scar on the bridge of my nose XD

...wonder if I still have that...

oh yea... DON'T START OUT WITH A ROPEDART!

they are hard >.< extremely hard O__O

Strike first. 'Til then i will not fight you.

Everytime someone calls JKD a style, Bruce turns over.

Why do I love Bruce Lee? Not because he was an awesome martial artist- but because his train of thought overlapped with mine even before I knew about him.

Thank you karate forums, for introducing me to Bruce Lee

I'm 15 years old and im home alot. And i was thinking about learning to use a weapon. (staff, nunchucku, etc) And i was wondering what is a good begginer weapon to try

First, may I ask why you want to learn weapons? I'm just asking because it can effect which one you should start out with.