Which weapon to choose

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, do you have someone to help you out? Just trying to learn on your own can be a chore, and having someone to work sparring and applications with will help your learning ten-fold.

I have always had a soft-spot for the Quarterstaff. If not that, then the stick or knife. The knife may be the most practical.

First thing is to find an instructor. If not I would recomend you take up an empty hand style since a lot of the same rules for weapons apply to empty handed fighting as well.

I would recomend the bo staff. Its a well versitile and common wepon. Its also very easy find information on and a lot of the techniques can be used with other weapons as well (such as the sword, spear, oar..etc).

I've always enjoyed the Chinese Broadsword(Dao). It was the first weapon I ever learned. I agree with everyone else though, find an instructor to get started. Better to correct any mistakes you make now than to break any 2-4 year old bad habits you might develop by doing it on your own.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

For a beginner, I would strongly recommend the staff. It's a good prerequisite for lots of other weapons.

Gong Kiu, Yau Kiu, Bik Kiu, Jik Kiu, Fun Kiu, Ding Kiu, Chieun Kiu, Tai Kiu, Lau Kiu, Wan Kiu, Jai Kiu, Deng Kiu.

I would go with the bo/staff, With the bo/staff you can learn to do a figure eight (a basic technique) which you can later apply with other weapons.

I strongly recomend that you find a teacher to help you out.

How many nuns could a nunchuk chuck if a nunchuk could chuck nuns?

Staff and knife are fairly beginner things, but do you study a martial art??? if so you might want to do something that pertains to your style.

good luck

in tang soo,

k.chuilli

I think that the nice thing about learning weapons is that they don't have to be ratcheted to a style in particular. My TKD school doesn't teach weapons, so I do SCA combat, and do a lot of research on Medieval Combat to supplement it.

Staff and knife are fairly beginner things, but do you study a martial art??? if so you might want to do something that pertains to your style.

good luck

in tang soo,

k.chuilli

I think that the nice thing about learning weapons is that they don't have to be ratcheted to a style in particular. My TKD school doesn't teach weapons, so I do SCA combat, and do a lot of research on Medieval Combat to supplement it.

yes that is indeed one perk, but i personally love to attatch the weapons to specific art because i can learn their forms which in turn means i learn their bunkai, and then when i cross train i can see how other styles use them, so im the type who would like to learn about it through a style, then maybe create some creative weapon froms on my own. but yes that is also the lovely thing about weapons, their weapons, not a specific style.

in tang soo,

k.chuilli

K.Chuilli

2nd Dan, Instructor

Kyo Sah Nim

Moo Duk Kwan Tang Soo Do

good luck

in tang soo,

k.chuilli

yes that is indeed one perk, but i personally love to attatch the weapons to specific art because i can learn their forms which in turn means i learn their bunkai, and then when i cross train i can see how other styles use them, so im the type who would like to learn about it through a style, then maybe create some creative weapon froms on my own. but yes that is also the lovely thing about weapons, their weapons, not a specific style.

in tang soo,

k.chuilli

K.Chuilli

2nd Dan, Instructor

Kyo Sah Nim

Moo Duk Kwan Tang Soo Do