• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

nunchaku help

Make sure to check your local laws on owning them...because you can always carry a gun but with nunchaks you'll shoot your eye out kid! :D

(seriously though, find someone who knows how to use them before doing any intense training)

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

• 3 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

um id go with a cheap octogonal wood pair with a cord, i find a cord to be faster and a heck of a lot quieter, i use mine for self defence and practice, my sensei likes a short cord, bout 3 fingers in between, i like more palm wigth, and find someone who can teach u, btw ive only had one problem in 5yrs with chucks, while practicing my kata i had a piece of wood break on me, kinda inconvienint, but i still prefer cord over bearing cause of control.

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

This is really good info - thanks. I love nunchaku's and we have several pairs. We don't know how to use them just yet but we keep a set under the bed while we sleep. LOL :P :lol:

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

An exercise that changed my perspective was actually striking a heavy bag. The bounceback was completely unexpected, and impossible to control. I reccomend anyone who considers these for self defense try hitting something solid first, you may not like what you find.

Of course, do so safely.

Maybe it's just the root systems that I come out of, but the minimal (and I do stress minimal) training I had with the 'chucks actually focused on their use as a tool for joint poition work. Think in terms of a giant nut cracker. This was a much more controlled use than wheeling them around.

I've never even actually talked to anyone who even remotley knew what I was talking about on this. It does seem that they are rarely taught that way.

For this purpose, a short cord is best. It increases the amount of force you can exert on a target . The cheap octagonal work well for this once y ou shortent the cord. And boy do the little edges hurt.

I agree. Not done carefully, you will crush, not break, but crush a bone. And it doesn't take a whole lot.

I was formally taught all the twirly stuff, but discovered your "nutcracker" technique in an old book. For my money, the trap and crush is where this weapon shines.

I think that would be the better way to learn that weapon. However, it seems to always be the "flashy" weapon. But, many have gone that route now, and I don't want to learn weapons forms. I would rather do partner work.