• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

nunchaku help

Ok, so when i was around 5 i took karate, and it was fun, but i've forgotten most of it, and i want to learn how to use nunchaku (i sound really stupid to myself but i cant word it any better) And i was wondering what is a good thing to look for in nunchakus. I really have no idea what to look for, Would a dvd be helpful? or should i just practice alot? thanks

Chuck norris is what willis was talkin 'bout

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can probably find some tutorial stuff on YouTube, or Google Video, or places like that.

It would be best to find someone that is experienced with them, and could work with you one on one.

I am a huge fan of Nunchaku, its actually my weapon of preference.

with either chain or chord the main thing is that the "string" section (chukon-bu) should be no longer than the distance of the knuckles on the back of your hand. the handles (jokon-bu and kikon-bu) are roughly the length from your elbow to your wrist, but its really your preference that’s important regarding the handles.

if you get chord (string) nunchaku check the chord for ware on the chord were comes out from the handles. Then pull the two handle apart hard to check the strength of the chord. i even check the chord length after this step the make sure the knot that the chord has isn't slipping. also make sure there is no cracking up near the chords in the wood.

if you get chain then the ball bearings become the issue. hold the chain close to the bearing and spine the handle, it should spin freely, but you can grease it up later if its the only problem with the nunchaku. Make sure the brackets that bind the chain to the handles are tight and don’t move at all. If it moves even a little bit move on to another pair.

Whether you get string or chain is up to you but I suggest string to start with. It’s a bit easier to control than the chain (not to mention lighter). It’s also easy to repair the Chukon-bo (string part) just weave a new chord through. The draw back is that the area you string the chord through tends to split faster than a chain pair will loosen (in my experience). Even so I would still go with chord. You shouldn’t have to worry about splitting for at least 3 years unless you get them used.

Get someone who knows what there doing when it comes to actually using nunchaku.

It possible to cause injury to yourself with them due to their randomness. The big thing to remember is you are never in control of them, you’re only guiding them. Another thing to remember is that it’s a momentum weapon and as such it doesn’t like to stop. You will have to use your body to stop them. Understanding how to do this without hurting yourself is another useful thing to be thought.

When practicing Nunchaku, it is best not to stand under lights....seriously; I have broken more lights that way. :-P

I suggest practicing a lot, and do what I did, look up a bunch of good nunchuck people on YouTube and watch their videos over and over again and pick up some cool tricks like that.

I suggest (I may not have spelled some of these right):

zgred (The_D)

the_aerialist

nunchakukristov

trikninja

Good luck! :wink:

I suggest practicing a lot, and do what I did, look up a bunch of good nunchuck people on YouTube and watch their videos over and over again and pick up some cool tricks like that.

I suggest (I may not have spelled some of these right):

zgred (The_D)

the_aerialist

nunchakukristov

trikninja

Good luck! :wink:

nunchakukristov is very good. I've seen some of his vids and they're very informative. He goes through it step by step too, not jumping straight into the hard stuff.

He's the first in his tutorial series:

Not really looked at much of the others but I do agree that you need someone to teach you personally and use the videos as a secondary source if you want to learn how to use nunchuku properly.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

TheNerfingNanja10,

If you want to learn how to use the nunchaku the way it was meant to be used then go here:

This is a great place to start. I trained with Nishiuchi Shihan and his group

for a while. Good info from a Matayoshi Kobudo liniage.

As far as chain vs rope, I would always go with rope hands down.

With rope if the distance between the ends of the nunchaku is too big you

can always adjust it.

When looking at a nunchaku that has rope make sure it has 3 passes like

these from Murasaki Kobudo:

http://murasakikobudo.com/catalog/images/nun.gif

This means that there are no knots to slip as the rope is held in place by friction

so the more pressure you apply the tighter it becomes.

Also remember to hold the nunchaku from the end not up buy the rope.

Good luck.

Too early in the morning? Get up and train.

Cold and wet outside? Go train.

Tired? Weary of the whole journey and longing just for a moment to stop and rest? Train. ~ Dave Lowry

Why do we fall, sir? So that we may learn how to pick ourselves back up. ~ Alfred Pennyworth

• 2 weeks later...

i personally suggest ball bearing chuks, and for competition something that gives off a little metallic glare, no need to go all XMA or anything thats just tacky, but a alittle shine as it moves makes them disappear when fast enough. but i would definately get a dvd or find a style that has chuks in them, or just find a studio that will just teach you chuks. dvds are fine though, nothing can beat a grandmaster, professor, master of instructor though.

good luck

in tang soo,

k.chuilli

K.Chuilli

2nd Dan, Instructor

Kyo Sah Nim

Moo Duk Kwan Tang Soo Do

I like to use the rope nunchucks. I take some petroleum jelly and "pack" it into the cords around where they enter/exit the wooden handle so that there is less friction between the cords and handles (it is sort of like packing wheel bearings, but a little different) :D

I haven't had a cord break yet, but then I have only used them moderately.

I would definitely suggest practicing with them outside (so you don't break stuff in the house, if you're at home) and on the grass so that they aren't damaged when they come flying out of your hands, which they will do as you are learning to use them.

Ed

Ed