• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bassai dai

n_elraheb

if you do shotokan in my opinion you should follow kanazawa he is the highest grade atm (10th dan). His bassai is the one i practice all his katas are the ones i practice
That would only be true if you practice Kanazawa Ryu.

Whilst I hold Kanazawa sensei in the highest regard I do not study his style and as such there are differences in our kata. It is also important to realise that Kanazawa implemented a lot of changes in his kata when he left the JKA. (Of course over time the JKA have also altered some of their kata, to the two styles have become more separate).

Each large Organisation is going to perform their kata slightly different. The karateka should follow the kata as the head of the organisation wants it performed (or their own sensei if they are part of an independent dojo).

Just my tuppence worth.

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you do shotokan in my opinion you should follow kanazawa he is the highest grade atm (10th dan). His bassai is the one i practice all his katas are the ones i practice
That would only be true if you practice Kanazawa Ryu.

Whilst I hold Kanazawa sensei in the highest regard I do not study his style and as such there are differences in our kata. It is also important to realise that Kanazawa implemented a lot of changes in his kata when he left the JKA. (Of course over time the JKA have also altered some of their kata, to the two styles have become more separate).

Each large Organisation is going to perform their kata slightly different. The karateka should follow the kata as the head of the organisation wants it performed (or their own sensei if they are part of an independent dojo).

Just my tuppence worth.

I agree ,good post .

never give up !

Good point!

Here's the video of him performing it.

Wow..that is so far from the Okinawan way of doing Passai that it's barely recognisable.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.