• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hip rotation trouble

dragonwarrior_keltyr

Wow, it's been a while since I have posted, I've been busy. Anyways, I am having a bit of trouble getting my hips working right. With my left foot foreward punching with my right hand I don't have much trouble. I can whip my hip/hand around alright - though my timing is still a tad off :( But with my right foot foreward punching with my left hand I can't get my hip to whip around the same way. It just doesn't want to move like that and I usually end up turning my whole leg and hurting my knee. I dont' know why I can't get the same whip. I know my right side is better than my left but this is quite a bit difference! How can I make my left hip turn more? I have a grading coming up and hip rotation (and punches) is one of the things I'm worried about. Any thoughts?

External training without the training of the mind is nothing

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Slow down your techniqes....really slow....and use a mirror to see what your hip is doing in conjunction with your hand movement. It may be a small matter of timing.

Also, ask your instructor for some advise. He should be able to help, and give instant feedback, because he can see what is going on.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your upcoming grading! :karate:

Good advice, Bushido. Many people try to work out things at home when the fastest way to find a solution may be to ask the instructor. He/she is there to observe and correct you, so the sensei may already know about the problem you are having.

That said, another thing you might try is the boxer's approach. When they punch with the rear hand, they twist the torso, drop the back knee down a little, and pivot slightly on the back foot (on the ball). Keep the front knee slightly bent too. I'm not sure if I am visualizing how you are doing it currently, but this may help. It may also take the pressure off the knee. This is good for a sparring stance, not really for a kata type stance.

Paranoia is not a fault. It is clarity of the world around us.

Thanks for the advice. I know the best approach is to ask Sensei, however, with easter holidays I haven't had a chance to be at the dojo in a while and wanted to try and improve this asap. I am planning on asking him for additional advice the next time I go to the dojo.

External training without the training of the mind is nothing