• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

how many hours do you train a day?

I find I don't do much training on my own, but I find myself thinking about techniques quite often. I usually get to 3-4 1-hour long classes a week and try to show up 20-30 min early to practice but thats about it. In the summer/fall I do try and get out and jog a couple times a week to help keep up the stamina.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if you take 10 minutes between homework projects to do your form, it is 10 more minutes of training. Even in small, spread-out bursts, you can still work a little something in. :)

I've started training on my 15 min breaks at work. Might not seem like much but it tacks on another half hour of training a day and I don't even really notice it. Since most kata are less than 2 minutes long, that's 7 katas to a break or 15 minutes of combos, strikes, kicks or whatever else I feel like working on at the time. Not to mention it's a great way to blow off stress at work. :D

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

I want to spend more time at home training and trying out different ways to train, but school, school events and homework take up a lot of my time.

Even if you take 10 minutes between homework projects to do your form, it is 10 more minutes of training. Even in small, spread-out bursts, you can still work a little something in. :)

Can't believe I didn't think of that before. :D Thanks for the advice bushido_man, that's something I'll try out.

It ought to have other benefits too - whenever I get stressed whilst doing homework, I could get up and practice a few forms and techniques, calm myself down and then get back to work. =)

I want to spend more time at home training and trying out different ways to train, but school, school events and homework take up a lot of my time.

Can't believe I didn't think of that before. :D Thanks for the advice bushido_man, that's something I'll try out.

It ought to have other benefits too - whenever I get stressed whilst doing homework, I could get up and practice a few forms and techniques, calm myself down and then get back to work. =)

There you go! You are more than welcome. :karate:

I've started training on my 15 min breaks at work. Might not seem like much but it tacks on another half hour of training a day and I don't even really notice it. Since most kata are less than 2 minutes long, that's 7 katas to a break or 15 minutes of combos, strikes, kicks or whatever else I feel like working on at the time. Not to mention it's a great way to blow off stress at work.

I agree. You are training in a time that is designated for something else, so it is not the same as putting aside an hour or whatever to get in some training. Like you said, it may not be a full-on workout, but it gets you moving, and helps to keep things fresh.

Great points...

Schedule your training time around your life not your life around your training time.....Balance in everything leads to a much less stressful life in my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

I train 3 days a week for an hour at a time, that is my “official class” My original instructor just passed away, I had been with him for 23 years. I also teach 5 days a week and my Saturday class is 12 hours of straight teaching. I get tired there. I am now studying shotokan with Sensei Koyama in Arizona. He is 72 and has been teaching for about 42 years. He is amazing. He will teach our class. Then he dismisses us. I go to lunch and come back 1.5 hours later and he is still training. He is an animal. He would blow you away if he was 22, and at 72 you just sit there with your jaw wide open hoping you can keep up. Like all martial artist, I have acquired a few problems over the years (bad knees and left hip for me) I would never tell sensei. I’m 31 years younger than he is!!!!! I’d be too embarrassed to even think of it. I can’t believe my goal now is to keep up with a 72 yo. Man! :o

place clever martial arts phrase here

I'll bet that is quite the motivational factor, Rick. It must be very nice to have someone like that to reflect on.

I am sorry to hear that you lost your sensei. You have my condolences.

• 1 month later...

On top of the two classes I attend each week, I've been running and excercising weekdays before work, and trying to at least do all the Kata's I know. (1 to 1 1/2 hrs) When I get to my target weight I plan on shifting those hours spent on cardio and weight training to MA training (techniques, drills and conditioning) instead.

My weekends are reserved for yard & housework, family time and the outdoors.

I have either 2 or 4 hours of formal training each week depending on whether I can make it on the Wednesday or not (usually I can't during baseball season). After each class I have half an hour to review what I learned and make notes. I'm starting a routine of doing about 45 minutes as soon as I wake up in the morning before I get in the shower, then an hour in the evening. During these personal sessions I work on both fitness and technique.

Battling biomechanical dyslexia since 2007