• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

sais in the Korean arts?

Are there any arts which teach a Korean equivalent to the sai, or is that restricted to Japanese arts? I'm pretty sure it's not in the KSW curriculum (although KSN Doug or somebody can correct me if I'm wrong).

Chris Tessone

Brown Belt, Kuk Sool Won

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

That is correct. No sai in KSW.

I believe, but cannot be 100% sure, that sai are restricted to a few Japanese arts.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

In Indonesia the sai are called tsabong (not sure of spelling) and are of various sizes and designs. With the pacific rim trade routes sai would have made their way all over the area.

Ah well. I guess I'll have to stick to bongs*. :razz:

* For those who don't happen to practice Korean arts, I'm not referring to anything illegal. Bong is just the Korean word for "staff". :smile:

Chris Tessone

Brown Belt, Kuk Sool Won

My TSD school uses them, but we don't really stick to the tradition on weapons. The ITF doesn't really allow many weapons. Our sa bum nim, learned a lot of weapons from a guy out in Cali though, so he incorporated it into all our MI schools. C.S. Kim ok'd it for us and has us do demos at the big world tourneys for him.

cho dan TSD

"Every second that you are not training, someone somewhere is training to kick your butt"- Kyo Sa Lyle (my instructor)

"Where we going in 5 months?!?!?!" "Cali!!"

-Spring Break '04

"Life begins at 130 mph".

• 1 month later...
there are korean rts that uses knunchuckas swords staff and a small reaper looking thing...in ancient korea swordmanship was greatly repected and they took alot of care. I dont know if there is any that uses sais though. I think there was korean martial art from the sixties that incorporated sais but im not sure about that. Ive seen korean arts with many strange looking weapons though so you never know

Is it not easier to strike a mountain than it is to strike a fly!

• 3 weeks later...
My first teacher's teacher had studied the Sai at one point and taught it as the first weapon to all his students. I guess you would just have to find a Korean school with training in non Korean weapons and teaches them. My teacher studied Chines weapons and teaches that to us.

2nd Dan Hap Ki Do: What we do in life echos for an eternity!

• 1 month later...
mastertae, that "reaper looking thing" is a kama :D If it has a cord/chain (and if you're really finnicky) it's can be called a kusarigama. I say primarily because kama/kusarigama are my favorite weapons! And, of course, because I strive to inform ;)

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

Just a quick minor point. Sai are Okinawan not Japanese. They most likely came to Okinawa through China, and to their from indonesia.

The sai are not used in Korean martial arts, its not a korean weapon. Any schools doing it just "borrowed" it from an Okinawan style, or made it up themselves.

Why do you want to learn them? Just for forms competition, or do you really want to learn to use them correctly?

Oh, and the Japanese equivelant of the sai is the Jitte, a smaller version with only one prong.

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!