• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

favourite sparring attacks

sonic

I can kind of relate to your post as well, Ottman. I have been known to block with my elbows at times....that really makes them think twice about kicking! :D

Ooh. Don't you get your funny bone twanged at times? I've accidentally 'blocked' (er, gotten hit) in the elbow right on that spot and my arm falls right down and just dangles in the breeze for a few seconds. Gotta present my other side and hold out until it comes back to normal.

(As I'm now thinking about it, I guess if you're using elbow strikes to block, that would be pretty effective. In fact, I think I'll try that. :idea: Thanks B-man)

Give it a go!

I don't block with elbow strikes, really, I just pull my arm tight to my body, and the elbow is down, and sharp. They usually get it on a side kick or round kick....really charlie's them up.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

front kick to the body and as they come to block low, whip it into a roundhouse to the head before setting the foot down.

an oldie but goodie

"The wise and successsful will always be met with violent opposition by mediocre minds."

Hey guys,

Can someone explain the concept of 'lunge' punches and kicks? I would expect a lunge to be the last thing I'd want to do to attack. You aren't actually lunging are you?

Thanks

No, there's no actual lunge. That is, you're not throwing your body forward in an uncontrolled manner. We use the term for any technique thrown off the rear or far side and landing with that side having advanced.

For example: You're in a Right leg forward front stance with your right hand in front. A Left lunge punch would have you stepping into a left leg forward front stance and punching with the left hand. Just like the punches in Heian Shodan/ Pinan Nidan.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Rear leg roundhouse (mawashigeri) place foot in front but slightly to the left or right of original front leg. Then turn and do spinning side kick to stomach. The roundhouse should be place about 3 to 6 inches in front of face.

Green's Karate was featured on CNN's "American Morning" for producing the "first person in history with autism to qualify for the Karate Nationals in the non-handicap division". National Champions & Medalists. Go to https://www.wdef.com then type in karate & see the newest news coverage.

I don't know how well this really works, but it has been very effective for me: I simply establish the beginning of any sparring match by going in and charging the person, usually with a punch to the head (nothing hard, just enough contact to score) This usually works for me and then the rest of the match is won by a few kicks and a few combos, but I usually charge a couple more times. If nothing else, the person backs out of bounds. I don't know why this works, if someone rushes me, I sidekick them or move out of the way and counter. But, it has worked since I fought anybody from orange all the way up to black belt. :idea:

I usually start with a backfist with my front hand, and then I like to follow up with a spinning backfist with my back hand. I usually use a mix of hand and foot strikes, I don't use one more than the other.

Those whose strength is not enough give up half way. You are now limiting yourself.-Confucius