• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Cross training

sonic

Hi first time poster

I currently take Goju karate,and my Sensai has recomended that I don't cross train untill I get to black belt or higher. I can understand this because I dont wish to have the styles mixed, I want to learn them at my own pace.

But out of curiosity (and for my future desicions) I was wondering what other styles you feel "compliment" goju karate. This is my first style so I dont know what the others are like but a few things I was considering.

Judo- from my limited knowledge judo involves many grabs/takedowns and fighting on the ground. I think this would be usefull because I find myself on the ground alot while sparring.

Ninjutsu- I have bassicly no knowledge about it but it looks really cool. If someone could give me more information on it I would be very gratefull.

Zui Quan- From what I know this is drunken boxing, and I would love to get to know this art better. I like to be very unpredictible when I spar, so this might help improve that.

anyways I am still learning about these things, but I would like to hear your expiriences with them, any strengths they have, and how easy it is to get into said schools.

"Think of the frog with its legs hanging out of the stork's mouth and with its hand around the stork's throat. NEVER GIVE UP!" ~ Unknown

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hello, and welcome to KarateForums. :karate:

Are these the styles that are available for you to take? If so, I would feel that judo would compliment your Goju training very well. You would have a mix of stand-up and takedown/groundwork, making you very well-rounded.

Waiting is not a bad idea. However, if you feel that you can take on both at a lower rank in Goju, then you could start it out sooner.

I agree, a grappling style should compliment your karate, and it is your decision about when to take it, but speaking from experience, arts as different as karate and judo shouldn't get confused in your brain. Cross-training in Shotokan and TKD... now that could play with your brain :)

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

Welcome to the forums Sonic!!

GoJu is a wonderful style and was my first style as well. As far as waiting to train in other systems goes, I personally would wait until you have the basics down pretty good first then add other styles to your training.

But the bottom line is it is totally up to you...not your instructor...not us..just you. You do what you think you must. You will be able to tell if it hinders your GoJu training.

I agree that it's usually a good idea to wait until you earn at least your first degree black belt before cross training. That's usually enough time to get good at the basics ( between 3 and 5 years) of the system. After that, of those you listed, Judo would compliment very well. It's almost entirely grappling (throwing and takedowns mostly). You could effectivley utilize your goju training to strike as a method of off balancing your opponent and then use the judo skills to take them down effectively.

If you're just looking to learn and understand several styles, it wouldn't really matter what you trained in afterward. You would just have to be able to keep the different systems straight in your head.

I guess it just depends on your goals.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Alright thanks for the advice, I can see what you all seem to mean by saysing Judo would work well with Goju, ill look up some more info on it myself to. thanks

"Think of the frog with its legs hanging out of the stork's mouth and with its hand around the stork's throat. NEVER GIVE UP!" ~ Unknown

• 4 weeks later...

Well you can join the bandwagon an take american kickboxing.. the transition would be easier an you dont have to study till black belt in most schools, you just go in an train with a private instructor or take group classes... an some judo would add some more punch to the mix.. or is that throws to the mix? Well.. then take judo till black belt... an if your still bored... take some kali for its modern weapons training.

Kickboxing wouldn't expand your fighting skills as much as a grappling style would, simply because the method and range of attack is so similar to a striking art like karate. If you cross train, it is best to choose very different styles at first.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

One thing that boxing/kickboxing might do for you is teach you more of the slipping/bobbing/weaving defenses for punching, which may help to augment your other blocking techniques. But a grappling style would cover a whole other facet of fighting.