• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

weapons?

Eye of the Tiger

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

From my experience with Shotokan, the style does not normally offer weapons training. However, the club I was with for several years incorporated kobudo training by hooking up with another instructor in Okinawan kobudo.

It just depends on the club.

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

What the heck is a numstick???? I think you mean nunchaku. You shouldn't be carrying weapons around the street. Are you that insecure?

2nd Degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and Tae Kwon Do. 1997 NASKA competitor-2nd place Nationally in Blackbelt American Forms. Firearms activist!

Generally most countries will let you carry weapons so long as they're for a valid reason. The other day me and a friend took a couple of bokken and went to spar in the park, no one complained or stopped us, although they may have been just scared.

---------

Pil Sung

Jimmy B

Hi,

Yes, they are Nunchuka, don't worry about it i think we all got you meant.

I agree with the last post, as long as you can show a valid reason for having them, probably your karate license and that you are going training you should be ok, but every countries(and probably states) laws are different.

In the UK carrying a blade of more than 4 inches (i think) is illegal and classed as a deadly weapon but for non-bladed weapons i'm not really sure where the law stands.

Nunchuka will definitely be classed as a weapon and so using them on someone in the street would bump you up from just assault or aggravated assault to next level of offense (possibly even assualt with a deadly weapon)

hiding the nunchuka in your coat or whatever, in theory, could be classed as carring a concealed weapon.

All in alln it's not really a good idea unless your are going training.

Having said that though, anyone can pick up a branch or stick or bike chain, is that classed as a weapon? i don't know, probably.

[ This Message was edited by: SeiDoRyu on 2002-05-23 09:23 ]

Just my opinions, toast me if you want :lol:

------------

Understanding what you do not understand is far more important than what you think you know.

In the UK, anything that may be classed as a weapon IS a weapon.

When purchasing staffs (rokushaku-bo) from our local MA shop, they have to be wrapped in bin bags to show that they are not 'in use'

If you carry any blade (that can be classed as a weapon) you can be prosecuted again, unless its for tool purposes e.g. a carpenter can carry a penknife if he is using it, but if I carried one (I'm not a carpenter) and got caught I would be liable.

The law has really buckled down after events such as Dunblane. I think other countries should take heed.

Oh, BTW, someone I know went to the Czech Republic, and weapons were available on the markets - and I don't just mean wood tonfa. There were knuckledusters with big spikes, and AK-47s with no waiting period.

cya

"You Are Never Given A Dream Without Also Being Given The Power To Make It True. You May Have To Work For It, However"

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner

West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy

2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)