• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

prescription glasses?

I practice Shotokan, so sparring is no contact, but accidents do happen.

It's just uncomfortable sparring without glasses, my vision is just too poor.

today a blow landed a little harder that expected and bent the frame of my glasses, not a big deal, easily fixed, but it did raise awareness of the problem.

Are there any types of safety glasses/goggles that work well for karate?

I checked out a low cost optical shop in town and all they had was goggles that looked sort of like swimming goggles. They had a rubber pad just like swim goggles and looked like they would fog up easily.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have the same problem. I have tried two brands of safty sports goggles. I find that they distort my vision a bit, and if my helmet gets hit then they get very crooked. Instead I buy regular frames that are able to bend without breaking. They also become crooked when my helmet gets hit, but don't cause distorted vision otherwise. I find this to be a real problem for me in sparring, because we spar with medium contact, and no one else has glasses when they spar. No one else understands that the second I get hit on the head, I'm helpless. This is because I see everything in double or blurry (I'm legally blind without corrective lenses), due to the angle of my glasses. It's impossible to defend yourself or blitz either in that condition.

Contacts would be the best option, but I've had no success in getting them into my eyes.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

Worst thing isn't getting them in your eyes. Its getting them BACK in your eyes after getting popped in the eye, when your fingers are all trembling and shaking from the adrenaline of kumite.

I come to you with only karate.

My hands are empty, but I fear no man.

My sister has the same problem. She wears flexi-frames (I think thats what their called) which can bend and wont get snapped easily.

She did try contacts for a while but she had problems. Once during a tournament, one fell out which she couldn't put back in so she had to forfeit. They also sometimes get knocked back behind her eye which is very painful and takes a while to sort out.

I guess its up to personal choice. If you are happier wearing glasses, I'd stick with 'em or otherwise see what contacts are available.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Walmart has a pretty complete selection of protective goggles.

If you think only of hitting, springing, striking or touching the enemy, you will not be able actually to cut him. You must thoroughly research this. - Musashi

I have two pairs of glasses. One for normal use and one for when training. The training pair are cheaper frames so I don't worry if they get bent up or broken. Make sure you're using soft contacts if you're going to use them.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Pretty much everyone else in my class besides me has this issue. Some where contacts, but the rest, we teach without their glasses. My fiance (the instructor) can't see more than like 8 inches in front of his face (thick glasses even when extra compressed). He has learned to train without them (as with the rest of our group) when doing any contact anything.

I know that in the beginning it's awkward for all of them, but they eventually (about 6 weeks) they are doing just fine. Also, in a true fight, they may easily be knocked off your face and so if you use MA for self-defense, this is a handy skill.

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

I wore glasses when I trained in shotokan, and the frames with the spring loaded hinges help immensely in reducing the amount of damage and need for repairs. I also wore one of the neoprene glasses straps that slip onto the earpieces (croakies was the brand name), the neoprene held on with sweating and all much better than the cloth ones, and I could slide the strap up the earpieces to keep my glasses on a bit more snugly than I normally wore them, which helped to keep them on my face better.

There are also flex frames that you can literally twist and they'll return to shape. Havent tried these, but think they'd probably hold up well.

what goes around, comes around