• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Assigning Training Journals

My old school made Journals mandatory for testing brown through black. The examiners read them and made comments about training, practice, accomplishments, goals, etc. It was great for everyone and helped keep you focused on your training. I plan on implementing it in my school once students are promoted to red belt. I also have a toyed with the "pamphlet" or handbook idea-even had one pronted but I haven't implemented it yet due to the constant changing and refining of the curriculum by the Master Instructor. It is a basic check list (broken down by rank)and students are responsible for making sure they know the technique and signing it off. It also has places for tournament results, awards, etc. My dear friend from England studied JuJitsu for a few years and still has her book which looks like a passport with her picture in it and everything. Kinda cool....

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I kind of like the idea of signing off on things, Heidi. Not a bad way to go, there. That way, students can see how far along the instructors sees them as well.

• 2 weeks later...
I think that if I ever get to run my own school again, that I would like to implement the use of Training Journals for all of the students. I know that many can end up quitting, but if they ever look back to be reminded of what they did and learned, it may inspire them to return.

I think I would include curriculum for each rank for them, as they get to it, along with ideas for research to cultivate themselves. History, philosophy, etc., as well.

How would everyone else do this as well?

My instructor got me started on one. It's useful.

If you're not laughin', you're not livin'!--Carlos Mencia