• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Assigning Training Journals

I think that if I ever get to run my own school again, that I would like to implement the use of Training Journals for all of the students. I know that many can end up quitting, but if they ever look back to be reminded of what they did and learned, it may inspire them to return.

I think I would include curriculum for each rank for them, as they get to it, along with ideas for research to cultivate themselves. History, philosophy, etc., as well.

How would everyone else do this as well?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hey Bushidoman,

That is a fantastic Idea...

For the longest time I never gave any student handouts or anything and made the students do it them selves. In the last 4 months I have written manuals for each rank in my Combative Sciences system it consists of two parts: Cognitive curriculum which has survival articles, tips, principles, terminology and so on. And Tactical Curriculum which has all of the techniques and drills of that particular phase. It has helped my retention and improved the students motivation and skills by a great deal. The phase 1 manual is roughly a hundred pages and I also include a place to keep their own practice sessions and personal notes in the back.

I agree. I'm a huge proponent of handing out curriculum guidelines. Even if they aren't strict guidelines (like in BJJ) it gives the student some idea of what it is they're working toward.

I've also kept training journals since I started training. It was mandatory in the school I started in so I always just kept doing it everywhere else. It's fun to look back and find some things I had forgotten. Every once in a while I would look back, see an old drill, then take it into class and just blow everyone away. It keeps the classes fresh and, as James Bullock mentioned, improves retention.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

just a thought... if you do implement some sort of journal, dont make it mandatory 1 entry a week to grade or something like that, as students will just make up fake things the night before its due... or see training at home as a chore because they need to write up about it... just encourage them to write in them

Brown belt... win trophies... grade... lose trophies... so much fun

It sounds to me like you have a nice journal set up, James. I would love to see it!

just a thought... if you do implement some sort of journal, dont make it mandatory 1 entry a week to grade or something like that, as students will just make up fake things the night before its due... or see training at home as a chore because they need to write up about it... just encourage them to write in them

I don't think that I would require entries in them, but, I don't think that I would need to, either. What I would do is keep my training journal on hand at the school, so they could all look at it, and tell them to feel free to share ideas and concepts with me any time they wanted to.

I would also have to show them the journal I have on-line here, as for my daily workouts and notes, etc. :)

In my club, we require students to keep journals that we write up ourselves as far as the techniques and forms go, but in my old system we had... umm... I guess pamphlets (little books) that had all of the requirements and stuff. It was pretty helpful. Maybe, we should make some of those up... Good idea!

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

You might want to make a reward system out of it... keep an accurate training journal, knock a couple dollars of your next testing fee or dues. Something like that.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

You might want to make a reward system out of it... keep an accurate training journal, knock a couple dollars of your next testing fee or dues. Something like that.

That would be a good idea, I guess. However, I don't want the students to be wary about what they write, because they think that I may read them whenever.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to read my students' journals, and if they offered, I would. However, I know that there will be times when they don't agree with what I say or teach, and I think that it is important for them to record those thoughts and feelings in their journals. If I really anger someone, and they just rip me in their journal one day, I think that is healthy for them. I don't want their recordings to be influenced because of the fact that I may be "checking up on them." That would defeat the purpose.

However, I would inform them that at the same time I don't expect them to agree with everything I say 100%. And, if they would let me read and see what they think, that I would do so with an open mind. I am always ready to learn new things, even from the students....especially from the students. :karate:

Got off on a tangent, there! :D Ok, I'm done, for now.

especially from the students.

I have learned just as much from my students as I have ever learned from any of my instructors. I have been humbled more than once even by the youngest and smallest students in the class....

Also the greatest teachers I have had consider themselves as students not teachers...

especially from the students.

I have learned just as much from my students as I have ever learned from any of my instructors. I have been humbled more than once even by the youngest and smallest students in the class....

Also the greatest teachers I have had consider themselves as students not teachers...

I agree. You can learn from anyone, anytime, anywhere. The important thing is to let your ego go.