• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Western swordsmanship getting some love...

So just goes to show really that good swordsmanship is good swordsmanship in any part of the world.

You are exactly right here.

I have a question; does your friend train mainly in stage fighting, or does he train in techniques from manuals and such?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi bushido_man96,

If I understand your question correctly, I think he was formally taught stage combat as part of his acting training. He has a recognised qualification in it and teaches it to local high school drama clubs etc.

He was a martial artist from a very young age so I think it was a happy union. As part of his stage combat training, he also had to study a formal style and I think that’s how he got into the fencing and rapier and dagger work etc.

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

I see. Very cool. I would like to study a formal style, but not so much the stage work. There are quite a few differences between the two.

I see. Very cool. I would like to study a formal style, but not so much the stage work. There are quite a few differences between the two.

Absolutely, in stage combat the main aim of the practitioners is NOT to hit each other. They are extremely safety conscious, but the skill I suppose lies in making it look real.

I am reminded of the words of the late great Laurence Olivier - "Dear boy...its called acting" :lol:

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

• 6 months later...

I really want to learn classical fencing..i tried looking at the internet manuals, and did some footworks, comparing it with the sport fencing i know...but i feel im doing a bad job. It's really different if you have a master to teach you and answer your questions.

The stronger swordsman does not always win.

Chivalry Bookshelf sells books on fencing, and they are pretty good. Not sport fencing, either; some of the good stuff. You might check some of them out.

I've been doing RyuTe (Okinawan Karate) for 26 years and fencing for 5 years. I fence foil and epee, and some saber.

If you want to learn fencing, foil is the place to start. I can't imagine trying to learn it on your own, but there are some good beginning tutorials on youtube. Western fencing is a vast subject, but a lot of the concepts are similar if not identical to concepts in Eastern martial arts. After all, the aim is to get your opponent without him or her getting you.

Also, check out any books by Nick Evangelista. He is pretty much old school fencing (hates modern grips), but his books have a lot of useful information.

I have been fencing for 5 years too...the problem is, I want to know classical fencing too...
I've got at least one volume on classical fencing...I'll get you the title.