• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

New

KyleM

Hi Baron, thanks.

Im 19 now but my flexibility is coming back pretty quick since i started training.

While doing some sparring the other night i was complimented by the green belt i was partnered with about how good my kicks were so :karate:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19! Oh. Nevermind - you'll be fine, KyleM. I'm 45 and can now kick only people whose faces are at my waist. :)

Way to go with the kicks. Make sure you work on your static and dynamic flexibility. If you get a Thai hanging heavy bag for home training, you'll really like it.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

KyleM, welcome to the forums. How old are you now? Your flexibility may have decayed some over the years.

If you are sparring, most styles keep the kicks low. I'm guessing you decided your new style was Shotokan? Low kicks keep your groin and support leg more protected. High kicks are for show.

Hey stop knocking high kicks :evil:

Sure they're flashy and are over used by some people and some styles, but a sudden kick to the face can do major damage. You just have to time things right.

Tae Kwon Do - 3rd Dan, Instructor

Brazilian Ju Jitsu - Purple Belt, Level 1 Instructor

a sudden kick to the face can do major damage. You just have to time things right.

True, very true. I just think those opportunities don't arise that often in real fights or intense matches. But I've seen video of some mean Muay Thai high round kick knockouts, so I know they work.

One of the reasons I don't like them is because I can't do them. :P

Understood baron. That's the same reason I stopped Capoeira training (or slowed it to just above stopping.) I have a screw in my right wrist, so I can't flatten my palm out. Makes it very difficult to execute a lot of Capoeira moves. I can try to go down on my knuckles, and can sustain myself on my fingertips for about a second, but it's not the same. :cry:

Wow, that's still impressive, Ottman. My hips are WAY too inflexible for Capoeira or anything like that. In fact, I have to really wok on my lower body flexibility just to grapple properly. :cry:

Well I am still only 24, so I'd like to think I still have some resilience left in me, but I really miss being able to pull off a proper Aú Giratória (handspin cartwheel) on my right hand.

Hey, don't rule out Capoeira training just because you can't move like the guys on TV and in the movies. Just understanding the basic Ginga movement is very helpful in a sparring match. Nice way to move in and out of an opponent's range, and avoid strikes without having to be super quick. You don't have to know all the crazy, break dance like cart wheel stuff to be effective.

Great discussion, guys. I think that Caporiea would have a lot to offer, and I think it would be a blast to do.

And it is true, the high kick does have uses. I have seen a few UFC knockouts with head kicks. Yes, they aren't popular, but they do have their uses. :)