• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

New

KyleM

All this being said, from what I've witnessed and been told about karate, chest height should be plenty high in the vast majority of cases.

Amen Brother. I can kick head height. But in karate...it really shouldn't be a requirement. You open yourself up to a lot of techniques when you launch that leg up high.

I come to you with only karate.

My hands are empty, but I fear no man.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A full stretch should be a little painful, in the way that lifting weights should be a little painful. If it is so painful that you can only hold it for a second before relaxing the stretch, then you're overdoing it.)

I prefer to use the terminology "stretching to discomfort, as opposed to pain." It should be uncomfortable, but not painful, to stretch.

Great description B-man. I was having trouble finding the right words for this. Thanks. :karate:

Tae Kwon Do - 3rd Dan, Instructor

Brazilian Ju Jitsu - Purple Belt, Level 1 Instructor

Great description B-man. I was having trouble finding the right words for this. Thanks. :karate:

No problem. :) I figured that was what you were getting at! :D

I think my leg strength is definately rising rather quickly, my front kicks can just about reach head height (close to 6 ft) but side kicks are progressing a little slower.. the muscles running up the side of my leg and over my hip are a lot less flexible and a lot weaker then my hamstring/quads, can't believe i never trained these muscles at the gym :( oh well, i have a month to train and improve on my basics before my yellow belt grading, hopefully that is long enough

I wouldn't worry too much about the side kicks. Again, you should be able to do these head height in the long run, but especially with this kick, it is much more effective thrown to the chest, or better yet to the solar plexus or lower in the stomach. (Not to mention at your opponents hips and kidneys.)

These are tough muscles to target, especially with traditional gym equipment. 'Thigh Master' type exercises (squeezing the knees and hips together or pulling them apart against resistance) are best for developing these muscles, but a lot of gyms don't have weight machines or the proper equipment to give this type of resistance training. That's why I like ankle weights so much. You can target so many different muscle groups.

Tae Kwon Do - 3rd Dan, Instructor

Brazilian Ju Jitsu - Purple Belt, Level 1 Instructor

So far all i know that i have to do is one kata (tekki kyu shodan), three 3 step techniques, and one knife defence technique, as well as demonstrate basics

Welcome and good luck in your training!

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

KyleM, welcome to the forums. How old are you now? Your flexibility may have decayed some over the years.

If you are sparring, most styles keep the kicks low. I'm guessing you decided your new style was Shotokan? Low kicks keep your groin and support leg more protected. High kicks are for show.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.