• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

About the makiwara...

Kante

I have a question:

While hitting on the makiwara, if you get a cut or two, is it ok to practice on it again the next day?

Thanks.

"If you always put limits on what you can do, physical or anything else, it'll spread over into the rest of your life. It'll spread over into your work, into your mortality, into your entire being. There are no limits. There are plateaus, but you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. If it kills you, it kills you."

Bruce Lee

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Not sure what makiwara is, but I'd make sure the cut is properly dressed and cleaned. Infections (especially staph) tend to linger around the gym, so keep any cuts covered and properly disinfect them before and after training to prevent infections. (Neosporin ointment is probably best) If the cut keeps opening back up, obviously wait for it to heal before going back to striking with that area of the body. You don't want a small cut to turn into a much bigger problem by continuing to irritate it.

Tae Kwon Do - 3rd Dan, Instructor

Brazilian Ju Jitsu - Purple Belt, Level 1 Instructor

If you have broken skin on your fist you should wait for it to heal properly before resuming your makiwari training. Otherwise you risk infection and also worsening the cut.

This is a good point. Whenever you do any kind of body conditioning training, the goal is to be gradual, so that you can keep doing it. When you go too far, and have to wait for the body part to heal, then it becomes detrimental to the training.

Take your time, let it heal, and then be gradual.

and to make sure all of the blood on the training equipment is wiped off if someone else is also using that equipment... safety first! training later!

Brown belt... win trophies... grade... lose trophies... so much fun

Not sure what makiwara is, but I'd make sure the cut is properly dressed and cleaned. Infections (especially staph) tend to linger around the gym, so keep any cuts covered and properly disinfect them before and after training to prevent infections. (Neosporin ointment is probably best) If the cut keeps opening back up, obviously wait for it to heal before going back to striking with that area of the body. You don't want a small cut to turn into a much bigger problem by continuing to irritate it.

Makiwara is a Karate Punching Board. bassicly its a board partialy burried in the ground pointed up. about chest level you hang a pad or wrap roap around it and cover it with leather/leather like cloth. the movie "hard to kill" with Steven Seagal features one in the training sequence.

When practicing Nunchaku, it is best not to stand under lights....seriously; I have broken more lights that way. :-P

Right, I remember that scene. Thanks for the description.

Tae Kwon Do - 3rd Dan, Instructor

Brazilian Ju Jitsu - Purple Belt, Level 1 Instructor

You may want to try wrapping your hands to begin with. After they've toughened them up a bit remove them and go at it.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1