• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hi yall. Im doing several types of martial arts right now, I´ve noticed that I am very dependant on my kicking when we do kickboxing in practice.

Can anybody give me some tips on how to improve my boxing, or do you know any instructionvideos or dvds that I can get my hands on.

Thanks

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Keep your hands up. Keep your left up in defence throwing your right and vice-versa. Use lower body rotation to put more weight into your punches. Hunch your shoulders and tuck your chin into your chest to protect your chin to make it harder to snap your head back and get yourself knocked out.

Battling biomechanical dyslexia since 2007

When you are practicing on your own time spend more time on working your boxing than your kicking until you become more comfortable with your hands. Then put them together again. I would work one day a week on kicking and 4 days on boxing.

When you spar, force yourself to only use your hands for attacks and defense. This will force you to change up your strategies, and use your hands more.

When you spar, force yourself to only use your hands for attacks and defense. This will force you to change up your strategies, and use your hands more.

This is good advice. It can be common for people to use kicking to keep distance if they lack confidence at closer ranges(i used to do it myself). If you are learning correct punching and clinching(i assume you clinch in sparring also) technique in class then the only way to bring it into use in sparring is to take a chance and try it. Like anything your not used to doing you wont be great at it to start with, but thats all part of the learning process.

Let us know how it goes.

I had the same problem when I took up kickboxing. Joined a local boxing gym, that is the best you can do. Wanna learn how to box, train with the boxers.

"You know the best thing about pain? It let's you know you're not dead yet!"

http://geshmacheyid.forumotion.com/f14-self-defense

• 6 months later...

i had a similar problem to this years ago during my Isshinryu training. If you're hands are high defending your face, you'll rarely get a good throw, and it's very hard to put your body weight behind the strike.

When i started actually watching boxing I realized they allow their elbow to slide toward the floor a moment before the punch, and thus throwing from just below shoulder level. Once I threw a few in that manner it felt much more powerful, and effective.

I had been so paranoid of keeping my guard high, that I was throwing snapping punches, which while probably nice for point fighting, feel almost useless, and made me feel ineffective when using my punches.

Get the mechanic of letting the elbow slide south then pushing from the chest, and shadowbox it a lil.

I can see how your high guard could effect that, Daisho. When I keep my hands up, they are a bit below the chin level, and I try to drive them with my feet and hips. I am a bit shorter, so I don't have to worry about punching down at someone too often. However, with the body shots, I think you may be right on.