• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A true black belt? or a fake?

RyoSakazaki

Is he a fake or does he deserve the belt?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Is he a fake or does he deserve the belt?

• Fake
    • Real

this may not be a popular opinion here. But if he were to truly study hand to hand combat, and put the time in to not only perfect the techniques, but also grasp the bunkkai.

If he were to then solidify all of that with an overall philosophy of strategy that fit the style, and was willing to test his system versus other established systems, then I see no reason to not accept his expertise at fighting.

Every style we train in was once invented by mortal man. Yet, from your explanation, it seems he's just a skilled fighter incorporating and mimicking stuff that he sees and is having success.

That may make him a very good fighter, but traditional MA is not limited to being a very good fighter.

• 4 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he is just a good fighter, I know people like that. If he likes to fight, there are plenty of places he can go and meet up with others just like him.

If he wants to be a real black belt, he will need to swallow his pride and join a school and go through the program.

Easier said than done for people like this.

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step" Confucius

http://graniteshotokan.wordpress.com

• 2 weeks later...

It sounds to me that this guy is wearing his ego around his waist. A blackbelt means more than being a good fighter. It has alot to do with honor and respect.

Semper Fi , Dave

the beast stated it perfectly. The true goal of martial arts is to become better human beings, a belt color will not help someone with this.

I don't necessarily view this as the true goal of the Martial Arts. It may be the goal and personal philosophy of many, but I don't think it is fair to blanket all Martial Artists into this ideal. For many practitioners, the goal is to become a better fighter. And I think that this is ok.

the goal as a martial artist should be to better themselves in everything, not just fighting but even outside of martial arts, it should have nothing to do with the belt.

TO be able to say that when you do martial arts is beneficial is should truly mean that it is beneficial in all aspects, not just by saying that your capable of taking care of your self in a defense issue.

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku

Becoming a better fighter and better at defending yourself is of course one of the benefits and results, it is a martial art. However, I think the ultimate goal is to better oneself thru martial arts.

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step" Confucius

http://graniteshotokan.wordpress.com

the goal as a martial artist should be to better themselves in everything, not just fighting but even outside of martial arts, it should have nothing to do with the belt.

TO be able to say that when you do martial arts is beneficial is should truly mean that it is beneficial in all aspects, not just by saying that your capable of taking care of your self in a defense issue.

I hear these kinds of opinions and philosophies to learning the Martial Arts all the time. But, who is to say what one's goal should be when undertaking MA training? I say it is up to the person undertaking the training.

I'm sure that Gichin Funakoshi was a great man. He did many things for Karate. I have read his book The Twenty Guiding Principles of Karate; it is a good read, too. However, just because Funakoshi said it, does not make it so for me. So, I choose what I think are the things that I want to garner from my MA training, and that is what I want to get out of it. I don't need MA training to make me a better person, my upbringing as a child is what focuses me in that approach. Not Martial Arts training.

Becoming a better fighter and better at defending yourself is of course one of the benefits and results, it is a martial art. However, I think the ultimate goal is to better oneself thru martial arts.

Exactly! I think so to.

In your response, you use the word think. The nature of the meaning here makes your viewpoint an opinion. There are a lot of opinions in the world of Martial Arts training, let alone the world in general. So, the opinion of one will not necessarily reflect the opinion, philosophy, or beliefs of the other.

Well, he bought it with his own hard-earned cash, so if he wants to wear it and call himself a black belt in Ryuuko No Ken (Art of Fighting, which also was a cheesy old Capcom fighting game) then let him.