• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Could the color of sparring gear matter?

seraph313

What color?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. What color?

• White
    • Black
    • Red
    • Blue
    • Purple
    • Orange
    • Yellow
    • Pink

It just occurred to me that since I have to pick some color for my sparring gear, it would make sense to choose one that would offer some advantage, if there was any to be had. "Different" colors, such as purple, orange, or pink, may make it easer for the referee's at tournament to see me connect with my opponents white gi and likely white/black/red headgear. Or perhaps a darker color that is harder to see moving? I think I might just go purple, because no one else has that. Any ideas? Thanks for your time.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I would think that orange would stand out the most, but would probably be easier to defend against then as well. I prefer black gear, it seems to skuff less. White gear and other light colors seem to get more skuff marks on them and look bad after only a short period of time.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

only way pink gear will help you is if ure opponent gets disqualified for excessive contact. I could see myself going waay harder on someone wearing pink gear.

I usually prefer red gloves and black boots (red gi top black pants) it just seems to flow nicely and looks good in pictures of my sparring when people take them

Brown belt... win trophies... grade... lose trophies... so much fun

I like good old red gear.

I don't think any one color is going to offer that much of an advantage in a match....not enough to offer up that much consideration, anyways. I don't think I could name the color of the person's gear a day after the match, anyway.

I have a black set to train in because our doboks are black and white so I wanna stay colour co-ordinated :) , but both red and blue are sometimes required for tournies.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I went with black to match my gi. I am hoping it makes it harder to see subtle hand and foot movements 'cause it all blends together. For example, if I raise my foot straight up to do a front kick, a red boot will stand out and be seen quickly, but a black boot will blend in with the black pants behind my foot. I don't really know how much that helps my sparring but that's my logic. BTW, I almost went with red just because I liked the color. The bottom line there is get what you want and enjoy it because you have to live with it for years to come.

Yes, I know that's two opinions. Just wanted to be fair to both sides of the question. Each way has a valid reason so you really can't go wrong (unless you overpay, lol).

Paranoia is not a fault. It is clarity of the world around us.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is black because it's understated yet has a slightly evil look to it. :karate:

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

Somehow I prefer white, don't know why really. But I'd definitely buy a pink set of shin guards if I found them! :D

In competitons we have to wear blue/red mitts so I don't have much choice there.

If you're going trough hell, keep going. | http://www.sankukai.org