• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Aggression trip-switch?

The other day I over heard someone shouting and almost getting told off. They were accused of having a changed character due to martial arts and that they were much calmer and passive before they started.

Is this the general consensus?

In the past I have heard that some people become more aggressive and I believe there have been many psychological studies on this, whereas other people feel more secure about themselves generally. It would be interesting to know your take on it and what you all think about the issue.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Good topic,

I have met those individuals that have become more calm due to their training. Likewise I have met those that do become more aggressive and egotistical due to their training as well.

Confidence unfortunately is a double edged sword. Too little and you have low self worth, to much and you are full of yourself.

I have also seen those individuals that attempt to make up for their lack of skill in something with aggressiveness.

I remember a high ranking black belt that always hurt me pretty badly when I was a yellow belt (12 yrs old). He would never fight at my level, so he pulverized me, even breaking one of my ribs. He was subsequently kicked out of the dojo for a period of time. When he came back he displayed a different attitude. About 5 years ago he approached me and apologized for his past actions and stated that he wasn't confident in his ability to fight. He then asked me to help him with his fighting skills and we have been close ever since.

Teaching humility, respect, honor, fortitude, benevolence and all of the essential attributes of the warrior is not an easy task. The best most can do is display a proper example of how a warrior should conduct himself. That is how my Sensei taught all of us. But even with proper examples and teaching their can be a few apples that fall a little too far from the tree.

James Bullock made some good comments on this already. I'll see if I can add to it.

The martial arts have helped me to become somewhat more confident, in my abilities and as far as self-esteem go. As a kid, I didn't have much. The martial arts have helped me to see what I can and can't do, and that helps me to keep things in perspective.

I have seen those that are big-headed, with ego problems and such. However, it is sometimes hard to tell if these people were this way prior to studying the martial arts or not. I imagine both can happen. Extensive levels of success can boost the ego. This is ok, as long as it stays in check. Sometimes, it gets out of hand.

I find comfort knowing that in any class that I attend, there will be those that I can learn from, because they are better than me, and those that I can teach, because I may be a little better than them. In the end, it comes down to each individual's attitude toward the activity, no matter what it is.

I've seen both, also.

But for me, MA helped me for the better. I am more calm about things, I have better self esteem, ect. I used to have a temper, but I don't anymore.

I still have a temper, but the MAs have helped me to control it better. I have also learned better patience through the MA practice, and especially from teaching.

I don't believe there is one set way that someone will go as a result of martial arts. Everyone is different and everyone takes a seperate direction with their training.

Hello, Most people who take martial arts usually becomes more passive and less aggressive.

Those that are bullies most times become more aggressive. (lack of self-esteen or lack of self-respect of themselves.

It would be wrong to say martial arts is teaching aggressive behaviors.

It does teach you how to fight back and defend yourself. (violently).

Each person is raise differently and there backgrounds is the reason for the aggressive behaivor. (now they know how to fight)...it increases there behavior attitude. (learning the martial arts is NOT to blame).

A person charcter is to blame(the way they were raise).

Yet many of us have seen students get more aggressive as they train.

(just punch them out!) ....only kidding here...........Aloha

Thanks James and thanks for your postings guys,

I reckon it is unfair to paintbrush all martial artists but I do feel that a change does take place, whether it's quiet confidence within yourself or in-your-face arrogance. The degree to which this change occurs is affected by a person's character, upbringing and general view on the world with issues relating to respect for one another.

Perhaps many problems arise due to the McDojos that are springing up left, right and centre which do not teach a holistic system or understanding of the arts, who knows?

Sometimes, I think people who train are not aggressive enough. By this, I mean there is so much focus on being passive and of good character, that their training lacks that kimochi, that spirit, that feeling. There is a lot of propaganda and feel-good philosophy out there regarding passiveness and martial arts. Bear in mind that the masters of old did not hesitate to use their martial arts when they had to, even if they were "quietly confident". They focused more on purely training than trying to inculcate passivity in their students. If you pride yourself in your passiveness and calm learned from martial arts too much, you may start to lose your fighting spirit. Good fighting requires absolute confidence. What you do with your confidence depends on your character. The timeline between gaining confidence through fighting skill and requiring confidence to gain fighting skill isn't all that clear.

Rather than thinking of having a sort of aggression switch that must be turned on and turned off or a sword that is sheathed or unsheathed, I prefer to think of it in terms of always carrying a sword in hand, but using it only when you have to. This of course is my own personal preference.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

I don't think that the McDojo should be the catch-all for everything that is wrong with the martial arts. Lets not forget that when fighting arts came into being, it was in a military aspect, and the goal was killing the enemy. Therefore, traits like agressiveness will have a place in the arts. Whether it comes down to arrogance or confidence has more to do with the individual instructor's attitudes and beliefs, and the person receiving the training.

I think that Shorin Ryuu made some good points. Always being aware and ready has its advantages.