Black-belt belt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Vee-Jitsu we use a plain black belt until Godan (5th deg.) and then they use a red and white striped belt. This Wednesday night I am going to promote my first black belt. I have been teaching for over 30 years and I have never had one person go all the way to black belt. His name is Steve and he has been coming for seven and a half years. I have posted a couple of pictures of him. He has never missed a class without a legitimate reason. He has been consistent and serious about his training all these years. Steve has fought in the advanced or black belt division in the last 3 tournaments. He took a bronze medal in the AAU State Championships. I am really proud of him because I never had to water down the training for him. I have lost about a hundred students over the years because I teach a tough system called Vee-Jitsu in a very military style the way I was taught. I never quit my day job so I don't depend on teaching MA for a living. I don't do it for the money I do it because I love it.

Thank,

Sensei Tom

Thanks Bushido man,

I also got him a really nice plaque that he will be able to keep for the rest of his life. I will try to get some pictures of the promotion ceremony. I will try to get pictures of the belt and plaque.

Thanks Again,

Sensei Tom

In Vee-Jitsu we use a plain black belt until Godan (5th deg.) and then they use a red and white striped belt. This Wednesday night I am going to promote my first black belt. I have been teaching for over 30 years and I have never had one person go all the way to black belt. His name is Steve and he has been coming for seven and a half years. I have posted a couple of pictures of him. He has never missed a class without a legitimate reason. He has been consistent and serious about his training all these years. Steve has fought in the advanced or black belt division in the last 3 tournaments. He took a bronze medal in the AAU State Championships. I am really proud of him because I never had to water down the training for him. I have lost about a hundred students over the years because I teach a tough system called Vee-Jitsu in a very military style the way I was taught. I never quit my day job so I don't depend on teaching MA for a living. I don't do it for the money I do it because I love it.

Thank,

Sensei Tom

You must be very proud. Probably more proud than he is. Hopefully one day he will have the honor of presenting the same to a student of his own. Congratulations to you both!

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

My old dojang allowed us to choose what we put on our belts (within reason).

On my first dan belt, I chose to put my name, tae kwon do, 1st dan and my testing date (all these things are traditional for that school) but instead of gold lettering I chose red and blue for the Korean flag and had all my lettering in Korean.

I also asked not to have my stripes put on because I disliked being judged at tournaments solely by the number of stripes on my belt.

My second dan is just a plain black belt....I like that even better...feels old school...

our belts have L.I Hapkido on one side. on the other side we have our first name in korean and our last name in english and we have the stripes for whatever dan you are.

im not sure if we all have to do this though. there are no black belts at my school yet except for my instructor. our school has only been open for like 2 years. i will most likely be the first person to test for black in my school since i am the second highest ranking student(1st highest rank will be a jr BB when i test for 1st dan) so ill have to find out if its mandatory to have the same one as my instructor.