• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How good do YOU think you are?

My strengths:

I have a low center of gravity and am very flexible for a guy of my age. I also have a lot of strength in my lower body. This helps make my stances low and powerful, while giving me high and powerful kicks. Much of my training has been with strict instructors, so my technique is very precise which maximizes my power and speed, making my techniques aesthetically pleasing. As such, I excel at kata.

My weaknesses:

As I am only 5'6" and my limbs are pretty much proportional to my overall height, my natural reach is somewhat limited in comparison to many of my sparring opponents. I also seem to have a lower proportion of fast twitch muscles, which limits my speed and explosiveness, though the slower twitch muscles do help with natural endurance. This makes sparring a bit more of a challenge for me than kata, but I am still able to hold my own.

"Karate is a form of martial arts in which people who have had years and years of training can, using only their hands and feet, make some of the worst movies in the history of the world"

-Dave Barry

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well in all honesty I would say I do not know. I guess it all depends on what your standard of good is. Humble answer I know, but I haven't been in an acutal fight in well over a decade and even though I won, I feel that my skills have drastically improved since then.

I would say my strengths lie in my stand up game. I work strikes, throws, and locks from those ranges from both a normal striking range and the clinch. And although I current do karate I work in aspects of other martial arts styles I have taken in the past such as Gunting (scissoring) from Silat. I also train to make myself aware of my surrounding at all times.

As far as weaknesses go, I definately would have to say first and foremost my knees. Having blown both ACLs, any kind of hit to them harder than a love tap is seriously debilitating to me. Also, my grappling game could definately be improved upon. I've done enough BJJ (about a year) to hold my own against an inexperienced person, but I know that against a skilled wrestler or grappler I won't be able to hold them off forever. Also my cardio could be better, but that's just a personal peference.

Good thread, Baron.

I feel that my weaknesses are being somewhat out of shape (round) and having bad knees. I don't have a lot of endurance. As far as fighting goes, I don't have a lot of experience, and that is a disadvantage. Groundfighting is a range of combat that I have very little experience with. Another problem I have is with the adrenaline dump. Again, this comes from lack of experience.

On the plus side, I think I have pretty good technique. I usually do well in forms competitions, and I enjoy them. I can block decently in sparring, but this leads to a lack of lateral movement, as I just assume block or brush off a technique, and then move in. I can kick ok, but I like to punch. I won't blow anyone away in the ring, but I can exchange some blows, I think.

It's been a very interesting question for me for a long time. I've trained for a long time with for folks who were a lot better than I am. Because of this, I really never thought I was doing very well.

I tested for my 3rd Dan last Thursday & was paired up with a guy who was talented & half my age. I wound up teaching him how to test (by whispering to him to go harder, faster & with more power) during the test! I don't mean to say that he wasn't good, he was just inexperienced & intimidated by the testing process. I guess if I've learned anything in my nearly 25 years of training it's to relax a bit & take things as they come: instead of letting the moment get to me.

When I truly realized that I wouldn't fall apart when I got punched or kicked in the head, it got a lot easier.

To answer the question. I enjoy forms & technique, but sparring is a lot of fun, too. I guess I'm better than some, but not as good as others.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

I haven't been training long at all, but so far here is my general idea about my strengths and weaknesses:

Being a beginner to martial arts I have lots of weaknesses, the main ones being lacking in strength, balance and speed. I don't have much strength in my upper body and so my hand techniques are very weak.

As for strengths, I think I'm pretty good at kicks. I have good flexibility and this helps me to get better kicking technique. I can also kick high when I need to.

I have been in martial arts for nigh on 14 yrs.

Sparring has never been my favorite thing, I do it, but I have never been very good at it.

I have never seen myself as much of a fighter, and still don't. My fellow students and my instructor say this is not the case, but I have a hard time believing them. They say that I am "hard" on myself.

My true love for karate is in doing the kata, has been since the beginning and remains so to this day.

I'm somewhere in the middle. I'm a LOT better than I was when I first started, but I STILL have a long way to go.

I know that I'm at the point where there's a few things I can do perfectly (this is directly from my instructor), but I still need lots of practice to get my techniques crisp, clean and powerful. And I need to remember to kihap when I'm supposed to.

I'm getting there. Slowly.

If you're not laughin', you're not livin'!--Carlos Mencia

I like this thread. I don't really have any specific strengths. What I do feel though is that main advantage is my versatility. I don't have too hard a time picking up anything I try be it sparring, forms, weapons, or grappling. And although I never really excel at any of it, I feel I have a wide enough experience base to be able to handle any situation with a reasonable level of competence.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

I don't have too hard a time picking up anything I try be it sparring, forms, weapons, or grappling. And although I never really excel at any of it, I feel I have a wide enough experience base to be able to handle any situation with a reasonable level of competence.

Well said, lordtariel. I think a broad base is important. It also keeps things interesting.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.