• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sanchin Kata

kikal0t

Hi guys,

i understand that sanchin is at the heart of Goju ryu but why? it seems simple to perform but ive been told its quite complex and even some dan grades don't get it. I guess i would like to know what all the fuss is about and how can it be at the core of Goju if so many people don't understand it?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys,

i understand that sanchin is at the heart of Goju ryu but why? it seems simple to perform but ive been told its quite complex and even some dan grades don't get it.

I'll start off by saying I am not a Goju practitioner. I must admit, then, that I will not be able to answer for Goju specific methods. I can, however, point out that ease of remembering the kata does not translate to the complexity of the kata. Afterall, you can train a monkey to perform kata. But all they would be doing is repeating movements. Understanding kata is about knowing everything that kata is supposed to teach you. From body dynamics to bunkai to new techniques. So, performing a kata and knowing a kata are two completely different things.

I guess i would like to know what all the fuss is about and how can it be at the core of Goju if so many people don't understand it?

I think this is an interesting question. I think it comes down to too many instructors teaching before they know enough about their style. Therefore, others who are uninformed/ misinformed are promoted before they should be.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

In my experience, no matter how you slice it, Goju is grounded in strength. Tight, extended contraction of your muscles will give your muscles endurance and strength. Bigger muscles are also denser; and makes it easier to absorb impacts. Additionally, it teaches proper breathing, and at least for me, having mental control to keep all my muscles tense has made it easier for me to do things like block out pain.

Just my personal experience.

It is a complicated kata. It's been 3 years since I've learned the kata, and by no means is it anywhere close to being what I would consider "decent".

Hello,

I am new to these forums so I will start by introducing myself. My name is James Bullock and I have studied GoJu Ryu Karate for the past 17 years. I have been teaching martial arts for quite some time as well. I just came across this website today and decided to join. Looks like there is a great group of individuals here and I hope to be able to contribute and learn a great deal as well.

About Sanchin,

Sanchin is considered one of the two basic Kata's. The second being Tensho. The breathing used within Sanchin is yoi ibuki breathing (hard). It is known as "protective" breathing. This kata is ideal to learn how to receive various strikes to the body without incurring damage. Of course it translates as the three battles or jewels...Mind...Body...and Spirit. The visual movements of Sanchin look rather simple and uncomplicated, but the complexity lies in the internal dynamics and structure of the movements. There are many "advanced" principles that are developed with the practice of Sanchin Kata. I have done the kata for a very long time now and I still learn things from it regularly. Many consider this kata as a means to become physically stronger and tougher through dynamic tension of the muscles. This is just one small aspect of this powerful kata.

There are high level black belts that do not see or understand the importance of Sanchin or even any of the kata's. It depends on what their instructor teaches them as well as their level of introspection within their own personal training.

After not really knowing what sanchin was, I did a youtube search and it came up with this:

Someone please tell me this is not how its supposed to be done! (after looking at other vids and the comments I think its not) because I see very little benefit after seeing that example. In all the others I watched, there was a point to the breathing not just making lots and lots of noise like this guy was :-? Correct me if I'm wrong though.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

That is different. I had never seen anything like that before. I can see where the breathing exercises come in, and they are very tensed. I think it would be a very exhausting form to do.

That is different. I had never seen anything like that before. I can see where the breathing exercises come in, and they are very tensed. I think it would be a very exhausting form to do.

Yes the form does look very beneficial to me. I was just questioning whether that guy was doing it correctly or not because other vids of sanchin don't sound like he does. There's breathing in the other ones to empty the lungs (I'm guessing here so again please correct me if I'm wrong) but this guy just sounds like the hulk! His other vids don't inspire much confidence from me in his training methods as he also breathes like that when doing pushups... however this is just my opinion and I'm actually completely ignorant when it comes to goju ryu

Can someone please direct me to a good vid of sanchin so I can see how its meant to be done :)

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I hate to say that any body does something wrong necessarily but I do not agree with how they are doing the Sanchin Kata in the video. They seem to be only focusing on the "tense" aspect of the kata. The movements are different than what I am accustomed to as well.

I would have to say that is NOT the way I would do or teach Sanchin kata. The breathing is somewhat audible but it doesn't need to be like that.