• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Types of Karate

Semaj

Okay I am a total MA NOOB! I take aikido, but i'm not any good (i've been taking only for about 4 weeks) and am thinking about simulatneously taking karate. PLEASE could someone explain the differences between types of karate. It seems like there are so many I don't know where to start. How did you choose style? any advice would be very appreciated javascript:emoticon(':karate:')

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Japanese styles, (mainly referring to Shotokan) tend to be hard. They also tend to include long stances, that, while not good for mobility, develop strength. The forms tend to be vary similar to Okinawan forms. Many Japanese styles also favor tournaments. (

for Shotokan's Tekki Shodan, evolved from Shorin Ryu's Naifanchi Shodan)

Okinawan styles (referring to Shorin Ryu) tend to use more circular blocks, but usually have a straight forward attack. They also tend not to emphasize on a lot of kicks, but knowing a few to use targeted at the legs. Some styles, like Goju Ryu, utilize heavy breathing techniques, others do not. Okinawan styles usually do not require tournaments, but do not discourage the practicianers from entering. Many Okinawan styles are also seen as not being flashy in the forms, but rather focus on combat over flash. Okinawan styles tend to be very kata oriented.(Click here for Shorin Ryu's Naifanchi Shodan)

Korean styles (Tae kwon do) tend to use a lot of kicks, that may be directed at various targets (head). They also tend to have forms that resemble the Japanese origins of the form. Korean styles, of the three countries being referenced, tend to be the most sport oriented.

Of the various styles, I have far more experience with Japanese and Okinawan styles then Korean. I also assumed you mean karate to be martial arts of decent from Okinawan arts, vs Chinese arts (Wushu, etc) and traditional Japanese arts (Juijitsu)

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky