• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How do you keep your sword on your belt!!!?

Eric7_27

You definitely need an obi. It should be long enough to go around your waist four times creating three 'slots' for weapons. The first slot (furthest from your body) is for the Katana, the second for the Wakizashi, and third for the Tanto. Hakama will help too, but it won't keep everything in place. Tying your karate belt tightly will not usually stop the scabbard from falling out. As NinTai mentioned, because it is worn on the waist and is not really wide enough nor the proper material to be worn around the hips, the karate belt will just be cumbersome and the the scabbard, at best, will be flopping around and in your way. Obi is the way to go.

Tae Kwon Do - 3rd Dan, Instructor

Brazilian Ju Jitsu - Purple Belt, Level 1 Instructor

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • 1 month later...

well we usually set the whole thing on the floor, bow to it. then take it out and leave the sheath on the floor, but i know century has a weapon holder, not too sure what exactly it holds though. good luck!

K.Chuilli

2nd Dan, Instructor

Kyo Sah Nim

Moo Duk Kwan Tang Soo Do

• 4 weeks later...

If you are going to be using a katana you should be wearing the proper clothing to accomidate it. While a karate obi *can* accomidate an iaito (i've done it before), it's not designed to, and is far from appropriate to use. An iaido obi + hakama is the way to go in my opinion (unless you're poor like me, in which case it's the karate obi + bokken, not hakama + iaito)

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky

• 1 month later...

i don't know the proper termonology for it. but the braiding on my scab board loosens in the middle and fits my belt i have yet to have it come untied after 5 years of doing this. I'm not sure if its the right way just the way i was taught.

• 6 months later...

The sword sheath carrying thing...

Tie your karate belt tight. Put the sword (still sheated), blade side facing up, right next to your body with the belt keeping in there. There should be a cord on the sheath coming from a raised bump with a hole in it. Take the cord, loop it under the sword, tie it to your obi. If you had a hakama, you'd tie it to that. When you pull on the sheath, the sheath should not be able to leave your belt. The cord should keep it in place.

He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is all powerful Lao-tsu

The sword sheath carrying thing...

Tie your karate belt tight. Put the sword (still sheated), blade side facing up, right next to your body with the belt keeping in there. There should be a cord on the sheath coming from a raised bump with a hole in it. Take the cord, loop it under the sword, tie it to your obi. If you had a hakama, you'd tie it to that. When you pull on the sheath, the sheath should not be able to leave your belt. The cord should keep it in place.

Depends what school of Kenjutsu I think.

It is my understanding that the cord or "Sageo" can be wrapped arround the Obi to act as a anchor for the Saya but that was not it only purpose.

The Chord was also used to tie up prisoners (hojo-Jutsu) and also tie back the sleves of the Kimono.

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com