• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How do you keep your sword on your belt!!!?

Eric7_27

How do people keep like a katana on them. If I'm doing a tournament the last thing I want is to have to put the sheeth on the floor as I'm doing my kata. And if I put it in my karate belt that won't hold and will drive me nuts. Is there some kind of belt thing that can tie to your waste that holds the sheeth? What did samurais use in the first place?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I suppose there is some special kind of belt for the sheath (similar to a carpenter's belt to hold the tool pouch), but I don't really know for sure. However, my answer would be "it doesn't matter if you don't bring the sheath". Whenever I have done or seen weapon performances, there is never a sheath or cover brought to the performing area. Unless you are doing something that involves the sheath (like beginning by drawing the sword), then just take it off, and approach with only the weapon. Don't know if that helps what you are asking about or not.

Paranoia is not a fault. It is clarity of the world around us.

I have seen a performance that involved the use of the sheath, because the practitioner was doing iaido.

As far as what the Samurai wore, they wore battle gear, not karate uniforms.

Try not putting it under your karate belt but in it. Wrap it around the sheath, and then wrap it around you. Bring it normally in front of you and then back around and when you do that, make sure it goes back over the sheath again. Tie the belt really tight. It worked for me.

Use an obi meant for Iaido:

https://bujindesign.com/product_info.php?cPath=31&products_id=251&osCsid=068002b5425a5c4632228f961e425896

Note:

This does not tie like a karate obi.

Too early in the morning? Get up and train.

Cold and wet outside? Go train.

Tired? Weary of the whole journey and longing just for a moment to stop and rest? Train. ~ Dave Lowry

Why do we fall, sir? So that we may learn how to pick ourselves back up. ~ Alfred Pennyworth

We always set ours on the ground next to us after we draw, so I'm no help.

It shows we have proper form as we always finish right where our scabbard is for re-sheathing.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

yes from my experience its best to use a hakama and then use the string that is tied on the sheath to tie your sheath to your hakama.

another thing you can do is just not take the sheath into the ring with you, leave it with a clubmate whos watching your division and begin your kata in a ready position and finish in a ready position with a bow.

either way works i find not involving the sheath is best unless your doing an iaido kata

Brown belt... win trophies... grade... lose trophies... so much fun

A hakama will not hold the scabard in place.

You need a proper obi to support the sword.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTMtZB2VOGs

Not the best vid but you can see the difference in how the obi

is worn and tied.

Most people tie their karate obi around their waist where the taditional

obi is worn around the hips.

Too early in the morning? Get up and train.

Cold and wet outside? Go train.

Tired? Weary of the whole journey and longing just for a moment to stop and rest? Train. ~ Dave Lowry

Why do we fall, sir? So that we may learn how to pick ourselves back up. ~ Alfred Pennyworth