• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Dealing with a ?bully?

DO NOT fight this out with him. I'm glad you've said you're not willing to. Do not play his game, that is exactly what he wants. I personally would ignore him and talk to the instructor about it as everyone else has mentioned. Just go about your normal training routine and act as if he isn't there.

Don't let this type of drama play out in the Dojo. As you know this is just disruptive to the rest of the students and the school. This guy is clearly not fit to be teaching/coaching anything, and your instructor should be the one to handle this situation. If you try to take matters into your own hands he will just escalate the situation, exactly as seems to be his plan. I think you know what to do here Kid. You've been trained well.

Tae Kwon Do - 3rd Dan, Instructor

Brazilian Ju Jitsu - Purple Belt, Level 1 Instructor

• 1 month later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hate bullies..regualr school bullies are bad enough...don't need one with a blackbelt and a cocky attitude. try not to fight but see what you can do...or you could always let the sensei deal with it. And if for what ever reason, if the student challengers the teacher tell me about it >.>

though i doubt it'll happen :P

I wanna watch shotokan's vid! >.<

actually, I personally, though against everything I know about martial arts(very bad) I might ask for a spar match with him from the sensei and tell him it is a spar to retain honor. *cough* I know..very bad 8slaps hand* I'm still learning from a teacher who is teaching me a philosophy that I can not understand right now...and other simple lessons..about the mental side of martial arts while I am left alone to develope my own style. before you ask "what kind of teacher does that?" know that I talk to him online..and ONLY online XD he lives in a different state. therefore I can only learn the mental side.

Strike first. 'Til then i will not fight you.

Everytime someone calls JKD a style, Bruce turns over.

Why do I love Bruce Lee? Not because he was an awesome martial artist- but because his train of thought overlapped with mine even before I knew about him.

Thank you karate forums, for introducing me to Bruce Lee

Stick with groups of friends and ignore him. If it gets even more out of hand, try and have a talk with school administrators. It is sad but, if you fight back, you will probably get in just as much trouble as him...so goes school justice eh? To tell you the truth (and I am not advocating violence, this is just my story), I got bullied by this one kid all of the time in 6th grade- I asked him to stop, told numerous teachers about it, and avoided him whenever I could but we had a lot of classes together in which he would never let up. So one day after telling him to stop and him laughing I kind of snapped- threw the kid over a bench. Of course he then hit me which caused me to curl up into a ball and cry but I prefer to leaved that part out of the story :dodgy: . Anyhow, even though I lost the fight, he never bothered me again after that...

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

I'd like to add a vote to "tell your instructor". If you're lucky, your instructor will kick the crud out of him and it'll be funny for you and instructive for him. :D

So one day after telling him to stop and him laughing I kind of snapped- threw the kid over a bench. Of course he then hit me which caused me to curl up into a ball and cry but I prefer to leaved that part out of the story :dodgy: . Anyhow, even though I lost the fight, he never bothered me again after that...

In the end, this is one of the best ways to deal with a bully. It is sad, but is also true.

• 3 months later...

talk to the head instructor. if you find youself sparring him just think "the bigger they are the bigger their target area is" but talk first.

"Theres no point, you kicked him in the butthole." comment made during a sparring match.

• 4 weeks later...

Hate to repeat it but yeah.. Sensei.. Lol. Personally, I'd take that as a compliment as he's more than likely just intimidated/jealous of your skill if he's saying such things.. More for the benefit of his macho-man ego than an actual opinion I'd say :D :wink:

The first person to call me mate gets a punch in the throat...

• 4 weeks later...

I have a situation similar to this in my school. We have a newer student who is quite crass, and brags about how good he is at sparring and that he was a higher belt at another school. I think many people have seen this kind of person.

I am 5'7" and weigh about 170, this guy weighs about 6 feet and about 230.

This person would always be telling people what they are doing wrong, even to higher belt levels in a most non-constructive and negative manner. Many times when he talks, everyone else just rolls their eyes.

Our instructor has taken notice of this and has had talks with him, but he sometimes still persists.

Anyhow, I went to sparring the other day, and I figured he'd be there, now he's always said he was very eager to spar me in a condescending manner that he would own me, etc.

Let's remember he's 6', and 230. :) I am also 10 years older than him, married, kids, etc.

I'll admit I was nervous, but I remained calm and loose. I asked him what he is comfortable with as far as contact goes and he was eager for full contact. This is his 2nd time sparring at our school, but if you heard him talk it would sound like the 1000th time he's fought.

Long story short, we went 3 rounds. He tried several times to go in on me only to eat jabs despite his reach advantage. He was god awful sloppy and dropped his hands every time he did anything. Long story short, I knocked his helmet off twice, and hit him so hard with a left hook, his helmet spun halfway around his head.

He got tired very quickly and I caught his foot twice and pushed him to the ground and mounted him, which is where our instructor ended the rounds.

After that, he is MUCH quieter about talking about how great he is.

I had a good conversation with him afterwards, and showed him some things he could have done to counter my tactics, as well as things he did well. Even if the fight was a mess for him, its always important to show things he did well, even if he is an jerk.

I can only hope he can take that experience and run with it.

There is an invisible stripe that you must earn in class, and that's a willingness to be kind and helpful to other people. Sadly, there are places that don't have that requirement, and I personally find it just as important as any technique you could ever learn.

That sounds like a great experience you had there, aerick911. I would also like to commend you for capping the experience off with a lot of class by talking with the student and helping him out. Right on! Respect is recipricol.