• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Gotta pick a kata

lordtariel

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
im in the same boat as bushido, as for the where do you learn them. I learned all of my katas (that were advanced for my belt) from the other black belt at the club (my friend :P ) he decided that i could understand the next up kata, and execute it with a decent level of skill so he taught it to me.

I see. The instructor at our school makes it clear that none of the black belts are to teach any forms higher than the student's current rank.

Ok, so the angles aren't great but here you go:

Pinan Yodan

Pinan Shodan

Well, that is tough. I think I like Pinan Yodan better. I would go with that one.

Pinan Yodan & Heian Yondan are almost identical. I learned the Shotokan version of Heian Yondan also at an early level and I have always loved it. The way it starts slowly going to both sides and then you explode into that gedan barai and shin punch with a kiai gets everyone's attention. When you do empi you make a loud slap against your hand to show the power of that forearm smash. Do morote riken uchi (augmentaed backfist) with a loud kiai, we jump really high and come down hard and when you turn show some tension. Push those arms that are trying to surround you, out and open your opponent up for a triple barreled blast, mei geri and oi zuki/gyaku zuki super fast and hard. We also kiai on the knee lift (hittsui geri) and slap the top of the knee when you smash upward. Man I love this kata.

Thanks,

Sensei Tom

I like them both. I just started learning Heian Yondon yesterday and I love the way it feels. I mean it makes my legs burn and my arms also, yet I'm still able to perform it some what descent. It is my favorite so far.

~Angry~

Well, I decided to go with Pinan Shodan for the tournament today. Managed 3rd with it. A lot of the people who watched me said it was a stronger kata for me than yodan, so I guess that's the one I'll go with for reigonals.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Well, I decided to go with Pinan Shodan for the tournament today. Managed 3rd with it. A lot of the people who watched me said it was a stronger kata for me than yodan, so I guess that's the one I'll go with for reigonals.

That's the way to go, then. Well done on 3rd place! :karate: Good luck at regionals.

Pinan Yodan & Heian Yondan are almost identical. I learned the Shotokan version of Heian Yondan also at an early level and I have always loved it. The way it starts slowly going to both sides and then you explode into that gedan barai and shin punch with a kiai gets everyone's attention. When you do empi you make a loud slap against your hand to show the power of that forearm smash. Do morote riken uchi (augmentaed backfist) with a loud kiai, we jump really high and come down hard and when you turn show some tension. Push those arms that are trying to surround you, out and open your opponent up for a triple barreled blast, mei geri and oi zuki/gyaku zuki super fast and hard. We also kiai on the knee lift (hittsui geri) and slap the top of the knee when you smash upward. Man I love this kata.

Thanks,

Sensei Tom

this way he can get extra points for incorporating pinan Godan as well. :)

Your Pinan Shodan is the same as our Heian Nidan in Shotokan. I really do enjoy that kata and if it is your strongest, you should stick with it. I did perform Heian Yondan (pinan Yondan) for tournament at 5th kyu and took first with it. Both are good.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.