• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Gotta pick a kata

lordtariel

So I've got a tournament coming up and I have to pick a kata. I've narrowed it down to two of them: Pinan Shodan and Pinan Yodan. Has anyone here had more success with one or the other? I can preform both of them with equal skill so I'm looking for the one that looks more impressive. Any opinions would be great.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Im going to assume Pinan Shodan is lower than Pinan Yodan. In my mind Im going to say they are the same as Shotokans Heian Shodan and Yondan respectively.

One important piece of information would be your rank in respect to these katas.

So I'll spout out some general rules I've come to know over my time competing in kata.

If you are doing a kata that is technically above your level...ie you are an orange belt, doing a green belt kata. You had better nail it. Because making a mistake on a higher level kata is the equivalent of biting off more than you can chew..and really looks bad to the judges. While doing a kata that is at or below your level masterfully would be the better choice.

Picking a kata that is above your current rank is kind of a make or break situation. If you nail it...then you will be scored well because you showed you can go beyond your rank. But if you screw it up..in my experience..they will nail you to the wall. So its really what you feel comfortable doing.

I come to you with only karate.

My hands are empty, but I fear no man.

steve took the words right outta my mouth, if you around the yondan level go for it, if your below, stick with the shodan

Brown belt... win trophies... grade... lose trophies... so much fun

This may sound funny, but the idea of doing a form that is higher than your current rank seems odd to me. Maybe in TKD tournaments it is more controlled, but we usually only do the form for our rank.

well in some cases the instructor cant grade you super quickly or other people get upset, so even if you are at a higher level, you cant have the belt of it. So competing with a high level kata, and nailing it, is one way to show that you are at an elevated level of training compared to the rest

My next testing kata is Pinan Shodan, however; I have been doing Pinan Yodan for just as long and is it one of the requirements for applying for the next test. So I'm technically proficient with both and both are within my current rank. I guess I was wondering which one you guys think looks more impressive from a judge's standpoint.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

well in some cases the instructor cant grade you super quickly or other people get upset, so even if you are at a higher level, you cant have the belt of it. So competing with a high level kata, and nailing it, is one way to show that you are at an elevated level of training compared to the rest

I can understand the points here, but where do you learn it? Does the instructor teach you several forms above the next level you will be testing for?

My next testing kata is Pinan Shodan, however; I have been doing Pinan Yodan for just as long and is it one of the requirements for applying for the next test. So I'm technically proficient with both and both are within my current rank. I guess I was wondering which one you guys think looks more impressive from a judge's standpoint.

I wish I could help you, lordtariel, but unfortunately, I am not too familiar with these forms.

If you could find some links to the forms, so I could view them, I would give you an honest opinion of which I think I would like better, and judge as a better form due to level of performance and difficulty level. :)

im in the same boat as bushido, as for the where do you learn them. I learned all of my katas (that were advanced for my belt) from the other black belt at the club (my friend :P ) he decided that i could understand the next up kata, and execute it with a decent level of skill so he taught it to me.

And even if you just observed and learned the steps through watching. Kata is all about interpretation and if you can fully understand the steps you have learned, you can teach yourself the kata.