• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kickboxing a good / realistic streetfighting art?

I want to take up a MA and I seem to like the idea of Kickboxing. I'm over 6ft with a v big build and I heard Kickboxing can make you a proper hard as nailz.

Would kickboxing be good for if you ever got into a street fight? Taking into account both techniques learnt, as well as speed strength and stamina gained from the training. By streetfighting i'm strongly implying multiple attackers, 1on1 attacks are very rare where I live its always 4 or more who attack you. Is Kickboxing effective against this? Is there a better art to defend against this?

Also, I like Muay Thai in that it uses Knees and elbows as I believe these would be very practical and useful, but I dont want to use shins to kick (which is what turned me to regular kickboxing). Is there a way of learning Kickboxing but with knees and elbows as well (ie Muay Thai but with normal kicks not shins)?

Thx for help

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well most kickboxing systems don't employ kness and elbow strikes unless they are Muay Thai. If you look around you might find one that differs. As for the kicking with the shins well that is Muay Thai. They have a deadly roundhouse kick and their condition is sometimes down right brutal. If you're not into kicking with your shins then maybe look into something totally different. If you like kicing Tae Kwon Do might be good for you. Their hand techniques aren't very good though. Kenpo is a good "street system" that basis emphasis on real life situations. They use Knees, elbows, fists, kicks, takedowns, etc. etc.

As for taking on multiple attackers that is a tough call. I would recommend getting a firearms liscence being realistic. You're talking 4 or more poeple and without some type of weapon it will be EXTREMELY difficult for you to even walk away. If you're afraid of getting attacked by that many then get your liscence to carry a firearm and learn to use it. Learn a Martial Art so the firearms would only be your last resort.

This may sound cruel but it is true...

Good luck,

Pete

2nd Degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and Tae Kwon Do. 1997 NASKA competitor-2nd place Nationally in Blackbelt American Forms. Firearms activist!

kickboxing definately toughens but the self defence is quite practical seen as you only ever hit the oppenant with your fist or foot. I have just incooperated Karate with my kickboxing. Karate helps me with my self defence and then kickboxing toughens me up and improves areas that karate could not do as well, such as power and strengh. if your just interested in toughening yourself and lokking for a simple way to defend your self e.g. a day to day confrontation. But if you also want to learn how to defend your self thurther I would recommend the older styles of East Asia such as Karate, e.g. knife attack, or a number of people at once.

hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...

Krav Maga is what your looking for. Incorporates kicks which are usually low kicks like the groin for instance, solar plexus, ribs. then elbows, knees. good kickboxing attacks and awesome defense moves, from chokes, headlocks etc but all simple effective movements based from natural reactions. It can be fairly aggresive and the drills are just that. agressive and will wear you out!! they try to make it as realistic as possible, it can sound intimidating, but its a good relaxed atmosphere. just good luck finding it in your town. check out inthe locations section kravmaga.com

Don't Let Your Meat Loaf

Do Unto Others Before They Do Unto You.