• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shootfighting or BJJ or both?

Currently, I take beginner classes which cover both shootfighting and BJJ techniques. In a few weeks, I'll be grading for my yellow belt in shoot and the first stripe on my BJJ white belt, and assuming I'm successful, I'll have the option to choose to take more advanced classes in either or both styles. I enjoy both and would like to keep doing both, though I find grappling a little tougher than striking, for the most part. The catch, though, is that if I do both, I'll be training 4 nights a week, and the classes are twice as long as the beginner classes (2 hours and not 1), and I'm informed by my instructor that the intensity level goes up a fair bit. Given that I play other sports, and do other things with my life in general, I may not be able to commit so much time to my MA training.

As for what I hope to gain, I want to be prepared for as many self-defence scenarios as possible, for safety reasons, as well as to be as complete a fighter as possible (which may be the same thing, I guess), which would basically be for ego reasons, as well as becoming more fit.

From what my instructor told me, our shootfighting system involves stand-up striking, techniques from the clinch, takedowns, and a small amount of ground fighting. They don't do free contact sparring as such, so I assume most of it is striking pads and/or light contact drills. The BJJ training is standard. We're a Machado school, if there really is any technical difference between that and Gracie ;)

I may have the option to take one class a week in one style and two in the other, but I'd have to confirm that with my instructor.

Any thoughts?

Battling biomechanical dyslexia since 2007

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I would do both, if you can manage it. If not, I would lean towards BJJ, but that is just because I hold more of an interest in it.

Either way, I don't think you will be making a bad decision. They both sound great.

If doing both isnt an option because you dont have the time or whatever, i would say go with the shootfighting. Especially since your goal is self defence. From what i have heard of John Will's stuff the shootfighting is geared towards self defence (but you would know better than me, after all you train there). Im sure John would include self defence aspects in both classes, but imo you would be more well rounded by doing the shootfighting.

Hello, Shoot fighting gives you more options, learn to stand up and fight...if need take them down.

Most times you do not want to spend time on the ground fighting someone only to have there friend stomp on you!

Grappling is great for a sport (locks and control). ..Just my thoughts (love to do Judo) .......Aloha

Shootfighting would be great for the self-defense aspect, until the fight goes to the ground. That is where the BJJ would come into play. Learning how to grapple is great not only for groundfighting, but also for learning to defend takedowns.

Of course, the takedowns in Shootfighting may help you learn to defend takedowns as well. However, I think knowing how to groundfight would be an excellent advantage.

What if you did a rotation, where you spent 2 or 3 months training in one of the styles, and then switched to the other style, and just kept cycling them?

Or start on both, and then throttle back if you need to? I personally would choose shootfighting if I could only do one, for the reasons cross mentioned. Might be a little easier on your joints as well - since you have a life. :wink:

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

Take one, then the other. Most people seem to say that you need both to be well rounded, but you have time.

If you think only of hitting, springing, striking or touching the enemy, you will not be able actually to cut him. You must thoroughly research this. - Musashi