• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well said, the big one here is being able to take shots. be confident enough to just take the hit in a spot which wont really hurt at all(shoulder), or large muscle groups. If your agressive enough, block the kick and force the momentum agaisnt your opponent, it shouldnt be hard considering they will have one foot off the ground while you have two firmly planted and ready to smash his head in with your hands.

This sounds much like the way that Thai fighters would absorb the kicks they take, as opposed to actually blocking them.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well said, the big one here is being able to take shots. be confident enough to just take the hit in a spot which wont really hurt at all(shoulder), or large muscle groups. If your agressive enough, block the kick and force the momentum agaisnt your opponent, it shouldnt be hard considering they will have one foot off the ground while you have two firmly planted and ready to smash his head in with your hands.

This sounds much like the way that Thai fighters would absorb the kicks they take, as opposed to actually blocking them.

hmmm, actually thats a good point, my karate instructor teaches that mindset. You know how the block starts from the foot and moves up and through, well one idea is being able to stop that energy(momentum, body connection, whatever) and use it in your shoulder or where the impact is being taken, its well known, yet rarely ever used right.

I think karate is alot less...specialized in its technqiues than alot of people think, its really just everything and only limited by the instructor or student.

Its a better alternative to the common idea of "i would never use that in a real situation", as learning a real block is learning how to connect your body.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

• 1 month later...

Personally, I've found waiting until they're fully commited to the kick, side-stepping and then using either a front push kick to the body or a sweep will at least push your opponent off-balance... The key is to wait until they're fully committed to driving through... If you understand. Not really reccommended for snap kicks though, as they can be fired off quite fast. If that doesn't prove effective, evade the kick, step in and leash...

The first person to call me mate gets a punch in the throat...

• 2 weeks later...
I know this guy who i spar against and he used to be a TKD champion and you can tell easily since most of his attacks are high, precise and fast kicks. The problem is every time i try to get in range to use my punches and hooks he just kicks me in the stomach or even the side of my head! If it was a real fight on street he could easily knock me out!

But the thing is also he waits for me to attack first and the speed of my movement is used against me when i try to get in range fast cause else i dont stand a chance.

I suggest a full out charge. Keep your guard on your temples and try to cover your face without taking your eyes off of him. I suggest running straight for him as fast and hard as you can. You may take a few hits but if you can take it and keep moving it will pay off and be worth it when you're too close for him to throw a punch or even a kick. From there I suggest secondary limbs (elbows, knees, even headbutts) or take downs. Or, move in with your guards up and as soon as he goes for a kick, wrap yourself into it and keep a grip on that leg. He'll probably try to use his other leg to go for your head. Don't hesitate on taking that hit. If he has no legs on the ground he can't do anything to you, so from there you can just throw him.

I'm not sure if this subject has been addressed yet (I haven't read the whole topic), but I would strongly suggest NOT charging! If his strong point is kicks, then you charging would only fuel his fire. Think about it... If you charge, you have less control over the motion of your body and it's going to be a lot harder to protect yourself. And what happens when you get within his range and he just lifts his leg? You'll run into it and all the power you used to charge will be added onto the power of his kick and you'll probably fall over and then get pounded. =D That's not very fun...

I would suggest trying to get inside of his kicking range. Switch angles and stances until you can get to the inside, and then use a fast combination of knees and elbows. He can't kick you if you're already inside of his reach, right?

Just a thought and how i was taught...

La voie. La vérité. La vie.

He can't kick you if you're already inside of his reach, right?

To an extent, this is true. However, low line kicks can be executed much closer than mid to high line kicks. Even if you are too close to throw a round kick to the thigh, you migh still be close enough to kick the shins with the toe of your shoe or boot. The dynamic just changes a little. Knees would also be available (I kind of consider them kicks, too).

I agree. Shin kicks, stomps, and sweeps, can be done at very close range. They're all kinds of kicks.

Yeah, and Bruce Lee was a big advocate of the shin kick and instep stomp.

right, or even just stepping into him. Of course this doesn't defend you from knees or take downs, but by that point you should be attempting to apply some of your own.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt