• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

evade to the opposite direction of the kick and step forward in one motion, this is simple if ur evading a front snap kick, or high to kick but if it is a sidekick or a roundhouse kick evade to the direction the toes are pointing because chances are they will not be able move fast enough to o come back with another kick or technique, but if u evade to the side of the heal there is a chance that the opponent can come back with a hook kick. It is almost impossible for someone to attack after just missing a big kick.

you must learn different combinations of techniques down to your very soul and they must come without thinking when you finish with one technique, you must immediately go into another until you have attained your goal which is to destroy the enemy.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

A good defence against mid height round house kicks i learnt whilst doing kung fu is to, when you see the kick coming move as fast as you can towards the kicking leg, so that it hits you in the side of the chest, if you get there soon enough there should be no power there, and you wont get hurt, and it will also unbalance your opponent.

Hope this helps

Kung Fu rules!

but if u evade to the side of the heal there is a chance that the opponent can come back with a hook kick. It is almost impossible for someone to attack after just missing a big kick.

If you evade to the side of the heel, just make sure to stay close, and jam the lower leg with your arm. That will keep that hook kick from developing.

• 2 weeks later...

I've found that staying close counts out most advanced kick moves.

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

I've found that staying close counts out most advanced kick moves.

Staying close can help. However, I know of some kicks that are very sneaky, even when someone is cramming you. Overall, it is a good strategy, and is one I use a lot.

well the best thing that i ever learned about blocking techniques in sparring is that not all blocks have to be physically made with the body by making contact with the opponent. the best thing ever taught to me was the block that didnt block...the evasion. evading the technique all together if you cant get your hands out there, and then usually because the leg didnt make contact the leg will drop in a sloppy unbalanced stance, then its time to sock-em!!!

K.Chuilli

2nd Dan, Instructor

Kyo Sah Nim

Moo Duk Kwan Tang Soo Do

Try baiting him. If you keep a high guard, odds are he's going to go low, if you keep a low guard, he's going to go high. If you know where he's going to strike, you've already got an advantage. Odds are if he's got a technique that consistently works for him, he'll probably use it until you start showing that you're expecting it. Then the game begins all over again.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

• 2 months later...

Tea Kwon Do being my strong point I suppose I could help.

-Charging him would be a very bad idea; you’ll just get a nice side kick or thrusting front kick which will stop you dead in your tracks. Instead try circling in or even a stepping to or stepping behind side kick.

-Get in close, on his inside, this neutralizes some of the most powerful kicks and allows you to unload punches

The biggest cannon in the world is of no use against a skilled sniper. -Mao

There's some good advice (and some not good advice) so far, so I'll toss in one little technique that worked well for me against an experienced TKD guy that wanted to kick me in the head really bad one time.

We don't normally use wide, low stances, but knowing this guy was itching to kick me in the head, I assumed a low, wide side stance and sure enough, his leg went up and here comes his foot...right for my fully exposed head! Prepared for this, I dropped to the ground on my side and launched a side kick straight into his groin...totally exposed and unprotected. It was a perfectly clean shot that caught him by surprise. After that, he pretty much gave up trying to kick me any higher than my mid-section.

Afterwards (this was a state tournament championship) he came up to me and said that nobody had ever done that to him before. It takes practice to get the timing down so that the kicker is totally committed to the kick when you do this, but do it once and it really makes those kicks come down and used less often.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

If you don't mind getting hit, go in and take one of his kicks on the shoulder. If you're lucky, as you move in, his leg will be caught up there and he will have to physically try and pull it back. While he's off balance use your fists and keep the fight close, because unless he is used to punching as well, he will probably try to pull back and get you in range of his legs again. Whatever you do, don't let that happen! This works for me when my opponents are shorter but have good flexibility as once their leg is stuck they go off balance. If you are getting kicked in the stomach, chances are you need to shift your guard if he is hitting with a roundhouse or try to go more side on when coming in for the hands if he hits you with a side kick.

Right from the start of the fight, he will have more chance of kicking you than you will of punching him. Getting in close is key but you need to do it without getting hit. Maybe you could learn a couple of leg techniques to take you in close and then finish up with arms. I wouldn't advise running at him as if he is capable of countering you fast you will just get kicked back. If he is waiting every time for the counter, occasionally feinting will get him to react but then you will have to be quick to dodge and land your own counter.

Well said, the big one here is being able to take shots. be confident enough to just take the hit in a spot which wont really hurt at all(shoulder), or large muscle groups. If your agressive enough, block the kick and force the momentum agaisnt your opponent, it shouldnt be hard considering they will have one foot off the ground while you have two firmly planted and ready to smash his head in with your hands.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn