• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I know this guy who i spar against and he used to be a TKD champion and you can tell easily since most of his attacks are high, precise and fast kicks. The problem is every time i try to get in range to use my punches and hooks he just kicks me in the stomach or even the side of my head! If it was a real fight on street he could easily knock me out!

But the thing is also he waits for me to attack first and the speed of my movement is used against me when i try to get in range fast cause else i dont stand a chance.

Everyday is a fight

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep your hands up to block. Use drawing motions to force him to kick, and then use anlges and footwork to get inside and strike.

Watch his body movements as he tries to kick. You should be able to pick up some idea of what he is doing over time. This will help.

Watch some Muay Thai clips to see how they use their shoulders, arms, elbows, & legs to block. It's too hard for me to decribe in words. And if he's a counter-kicker, who says you still have to attack first? Wait him out.

If you think only of hitting, springing, striking or touching the enemy, you will not be able actually to cut him. You must thoroughly research this. - Musashi

Try grabbing one of his legs and throwing him to the ground, or at least holding it. Also, kick his support leg.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

I know this guy who i spar against and he used to be a TKD champion and you can tell easily since most of his attacks are high, precise and fast kicks. The problem is every time i try to get in range to use my punches and hooks he just kicks me in the stomach or even the side of my head! If it was a real fight on street he could easily knock me out!

But the thing is also he waits for me to attack first and the speed of my movement is used against me when i try to get in range fast cause else i dont stand a chance.

I suggest a full out charge. Keep your guard on your temples and try to cover your face without taking your eyes off of him. I suggest running straight for him as fast and hard as you can. You may take a few hits but if you can take it and keep moving it will pay off and be worth it when you're too close for him to throw a punch or even a kick. From there I suggest secondary limbs (elbows, knees, even headbutts) or take downs. Or, move in with your guards up and as soon as he goes for a kick, wrap yourself into it and keep a grip on that leg. He'll probably try to use his other leg to go for your head. Don't hesitate on taking that hit. If he has no legs on the ground he can't do anything to you, so from there you can just throw him.

• 1 month later...

This is a weak area for me, too. So I try to (1) move the same direction his kick is coming (i.e., away from it, if a round house), and as I plant, that's a set up for counter kick; or, (2) as someone else said, move in fast--even jump right into him to take away his center/balance. You can often knock an opponent down with just such a shoulder bump, but he'll definitely be off balance and open for a fast attack; (3) use a feint, as the old boxing jab, move position, and let it rip with fists.

Anyway, you can beat this guy. Just have to take him out of his game, and make him play yours. Best of luck. I'd love to hear how any of these ideas worked for you (or anyone else).

'Do not do injury, if you can possibly avoid it.' --Tielo, 6th Century

'A man, as long as he teaches, learns.' -- Seneca

If you don't mind getting hit, go in and take one of his kicks on the shoulder. If you're lucky, as you move in, his leg will be caught up there and he will have to physically try and pull it back. While he's off balance use your fists and keep the fight close, because unless he is used to punching as well, he will probably try to pull back and get you in range of his legs again. Whatever you do, don't let that happen! This works for me when my opponents are shorter but have good flexibility as once their leg is stuck they go off balance. If you are getting kicked in the stomach, chances are you need to shift your guard if he is hitting with a roundhouse or try to go more side on when coming in for the hands if he hits you with a side kick.

Right from the start of the fight, he will have more chance of kicking you than you will of punching him. Getting in close is key but you need to do it without getting hit. Maybe you could learn a couple of leg techniques to take you in close and then finish up with arms. I wouldn't advise running at him as if he is capable of countering you fast you will just get kicked back. If he is waiting every time for the counter, occasionally feinting will get him to react but then you will have to be quick to dodge and land your own counter.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Moving in at angles is great for getting inside of kicks, especially back leg kicks. I find that this helps me out a lot. It also opens up their line to you, while keeping yours sealed off.

I like to take a step in and absorb the glancing knee while I make some strikes to the head and body.

For particularly low kicks I rotate my leg and block with- well I guess the outside of my lower leg, like 90 degrees from my calf.

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu